This Vegan Enchilada Casserole with Jalapeño Cream Sauce is the perfect make ahead meal for busy…
The perfect addition to tacos, nachos or enchiladas – this Vegan Jalapeño Cream Sauce is packed full of flavor and heat.
If you have been following TSV for a while, then this Vegan Jalapeño Cream Sauce is nothing new to you.
I had such a great response about the sauce itself, that I felt it was necessary to give it some spotlight on its own.
What makes this sauce great is its simplicity, versatility and most importantly, the amazing flavor combo.
AND it doesn’t require soaking cashews – I don’t know about you, but getting a break from cashew-based sauces is always nice.
Instead, the creamy base of this recipe comes from vegan cream cheese.
My favorite brand of vegan cream cheese is from Trader Joe’s. It has the most comparable flavor and texture to traditional cream cheese.
If you don’t live near a Trader Joe’s, then I would go with my second favorite brand – Tofutti. You can find it at many grocery stores or online here.
This sauce does pack a bunch, so if you want to tone down the spice a bit, I would remove the ribs and seeds from the jalapeño.
I personally LOVE spice, so I like to keep the jalapeño intact.
Stay tuned for 2 all new recipes to use this sauce with coming soon!
Vegan Jalapeño Cream Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 red onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 jalapeño roughly chopped
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- Place a pan on the stove over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Sauté until onions begins to soften (approx. 5-7 minutes), stirring regularly.
- Add jalapeño and cream cheese to the pan and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until cream cheese is softened and everything is combined.
- Place the contents of the pan in a blender with cilantro and 1/4 cup of water. Pulse until combined. Add additional water if needed and taste to adjust seasoning.
- Place in an airtight container and keep in the fridge until ready to use. Will last 5-7 days.