These Vegan Soft Rolled Tacos are a combo of taquitos and enchiladas. Filled with beans & veggies and brushed with enchilada sauce.
This post includes affiliate links. If you make a purchase I get a small commission.
I really struggled when it came to naming this recipe. It's not quite enchiladas. It's not quite taquitos. But one thing I do know...it is delicious. Tortillas are dipped in enchilada sauce, filled with a bean & veggie mixture and rolled up. Then they are baked until crispy and served up with a serrano vinaigrette & chipotle mayo. These are best served with a knife & fork!
How to make Vegan Soft Rolled Tacos
To make the filling, start out by cooking down bell pepper, onion and serrano. Set that aside to cool slightly. Add a can of pinto beans to a bowl with a little bit of water & taco seasoning and mash slightly with a fork. Add in the cooled veggies and stir to combine.
Heat the tortillas and one by one, dip them in enchilada sauce. Add a couple tablespoons of filling to the center of the tortilla and roll it up tight. Place the finished rolled tacos on a greased baking sheet. Brush with more enchilada sauce and bake for 20-ish minutes, or until crispy.
TIP: Depending on the type of tortilla you use (corn vs flour) these will be more or less crispy. For crispier rolled tacos, use corn.
How to make the sauces
I love a good sauce. And for this recipe, I just felt like it needed two sauces. The first one is a serrano vinaigrette. It is an oil-based sauce with cilantro, serrano, garlic, red onion, vinegar, lime juice, agave and spices. I like to serve this one over the rolled tacos - like a salad dressing.
The other sauce is more like a dipping sauce - chipotle mayo. It is a combo of vegan mayo, adobo sauce, lime juice and cumin. Simple and so good.
How to serve Vegan Soft Rolled Tacos
When you are ready to eat, plate the rolled tacos and top them with shredded lettuce, pickled onions and serrano vinaigrette. I like to add LOTS of shredded lettuce - makes it more like a salad.
Have the chipotle mayo on the side with plenty of lime wedges.
These are best served with a knife and fork. They won't be as crispy as a traditional rolled tacos, so just be sure to keep that in mind.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Vegan Soft Rolled Tacos
FOR THE ROLLED TACOS
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 bell pepper diced
- ½ serrano pepper diced
- ½ small red onion diced
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 12 taco-sized tortillas corn or flour*
- 1 15-ounce can red enchilada sauce
- shredded lettuce, lime for serving
- pickled onions optional, for serving
FOR THE SERRANO VINAIGRETTE
- Grease a baking sheet** and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, onion and serrano. Cook down for 3-5 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the beans, taco seasoning and a splash of water to a bowl. Use a fork to slightly mash the beans. Add the cooled veggies to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave and pour the enchilada sauce into a shallow bowl. Dip each tortilla in the enchilada sauce, allowing excess to drip off. Add a couple tablespoons of filling to the center and roll up. Place seam-side down on the greased baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Brush the finished tortillas with a little more enchilada sauce. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Carefully flip and cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the serrano vinaigrette ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- To serve, plate the rolled tacos and top with shredded lettuce and serrano vinaigrette. Serve with lime wedges and chipotle mayo (see notes).