These Quick Pickled Onions are made with simple ingredients and ready in 30 minutes. The perfect topping for burgers, tacos and salads.
If you love a tangy, sweet (& pink) meal topper then you need to make these quick pickled onions! They require super simple ingredients and are ready in no time. No need for fancy canning equipment, just throw them in a jar. Ready to eat in 30 minutes. Keep them in the fridge for a couple days or a couple weeks.
What ingredients are needed for Quick Pickled Onions?
The ingredient list is short and sweet! Most of them you will already have in your kitchen!
The main ingredient is obviously the vinegar. This is what gives the onions that pickled, tangy taste. You can really use whatever vinegar you prefer - distilled white, apple cider, red wine, white wine. Depending on the type of vinegar you use, you will have more or less tang. I went for a combo of distilled white and apple cider.
Other than that you will need water, sugar, salt, mustard seeds and red pepper flakes (if you want a little kick).
How to make Quick Pickled Onions
Slice 1 red onion into thin rounds. Place the onion slices in a heat-proof container - I used these weck jars.
Heat up all of the remaining ingredients in a sauce pan. Once the mixture comes to a boil, stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Then, pour the liquid over the onions. Cover them and let them come to room temperature on the counter - about 30 minutes.
Feel free to dig in at this point. BUT, you can also put them in the fridge and let them absorb more of the brining liquid.
How to store Quick Pickled Onions
When you are ready to store the pickled onions, make sure they are in an airtight container. Keep them in the fridge and grab them as you need them.
These are best if eaten within the first 5 days, but can keep in the fridge for a few weeks.
You can use pickled onions on tacos, over soups, in salads. You'll never want to eat anything again without them!
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1 medium red onion cut in rounds
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup vinegar I used a combo of distilled white and apple cider
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Slice the onion and place in a heat-proof container.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the liquid over the onions and press them down with a fork.
- Cover and allow to come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately or cover and place in the fridge. These are best served within the first few days, but will keep in the fridge for a couple weeks.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!