This Vegan Sausage Gravy is super simple, incredibly tasty and a total crowd pleaser! You need to add this to your holiday menu!
Well, my friends, the day has finally come for a NEW vegan gravy recipe! I've honestly never felt the need to create a new recipe because my original vegan gravy recipe is a full proof hit! But if you feel like trying something new, then you need to give this gravy recipe a try!
Let's Talk Vegan Sausage
The truth is that the base of this gravy is very similar to the old recipe, but the addition of vegan sausage makes this extra tasty! I went with my old standby - Beyond Meat Spicy Italian. It is my absolute favorite.
It crumbles well, it gets super crispy and it just tastes delicious! You can also sub your favorite vegan sausage!
How to Make a Roux
The truth about both of my vegan gravy recipes is that they are incredibly easy! I think that is what made the original recipe so popular. For very little effort you get a super delicious gravy - and if you run out at any point during your holiday dinner, it takes just a few minutes to whip up more!
Start out by crumbling and browning the sausage in a non-stick skillet. This just takes a few minutes. Remove the sausage from the skillet and melt some vegan butter in the same skillet. Slowly whisk in the flour. I like to do it a couple tablespoons at a time - just keep on whisking. Once the roux is smooth, bubbly and slightly browned, add in the poultry seasoning and pepper.
Let's Make the Gravy
Now that the roux is smooth and bubbly, slowly pour in the broth. I used vegan chicken bouillon to make my broth. I think it has the best flavor for gravy. But...if you do the same, I wouldn't follow the bouillon to water ratio on the package. I think it is too salty when combined with the sausage. Instead, use 1 teaspoon of bouillon to 2 cups of water. You can always add more bouillon at the end if it isn't salty enough. Always better to add less in the beginning.
Pour in the broth a little at a time, continuing to whisk. Once the broth has been absorbed, add some more. After you've added the 2 cups of broth, you can decide if you want to thin it out more - this is a personal preference on texture. The vegan gravy will also thicken as it sits, so you can also wait to thin it out right before serving.
How to Serve Vegan Gravy
Stir in the reserved vegan sausage and give it a taste. This is when you can adjust the dry seasonings, add more bouillon or thin it out with more water/broth. Keep the gravy on low until ready to serve, stirring frequently.
Not sure what to serve this with...I've got you covered. I love this with Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes, Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes or with Biscuits and Gravy.
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made this Vegan Sausage Gravy I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Vegan Sausage Gravy
- 8 ounces vegan sausage I used Beyond Meat Spicy Italian
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups broth see notes
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and crumble with a wooden spoon. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until crispy. Transfer the sausage crumbles to a plate.
- Place the empty skillet back on the stove and melt the butter. Add the flour a couple tablespoons at a time - wait until the flour is incorporated before adding more. Keep whisking until the roux is smooth, bubbly and slightly browned. Whisk in the dry seasonings.
- Slowly pour in the broth a little at a time, whisking continuously.** Once the broth is fully incorporated, stir in the reserved sausage. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Turn the heat to low, stirring frequently until ready to serve.
Leave a Reply