These Vegan Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes are a garlic lovers dream. Perfectly creamy and the…
These Vegan Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes are what potato dreams are made of – these will be the star of the show at your next holiday dinner.
It may only be October, but you know that Thanksgiving is on all of our minds already. And you better believe that I have a whole new line up of vegan holiday food coming your way. Over the next few weeks I will be sharing brand new gravy, stuffing and leftover recipes with you to give you plenty of options come Thanksgiving.
…and be sure to check out my previous Thanksgiving recipes here.
Ok, now onto these potatoes.
These potatoes are luscious, creamy and packed full of herby, delicious brown butter (vegan butter…of course). And that brown butter is what makes these potatoes next level delicious.
The trick to making brown butter it to always keep it moving and to know when to pull it from the heat. Pull it too early, and it just tastes like plain old butter. Pull it too late and it will taste burnt. You want to wait until it has a nice nutty smell and you see little brown specks in the bottom of the pan.
TSV TIP: The easiest way to cook brown butter is to use a white-bottomed pan. It is not necessary, but helpful. You can find one similar to mine online here.
Once you have your brown butter, the rest of this recipe is easy peasy.
Peel, boil and mash the potatoes. Add some seasonings. Then stir in that butter.
You can either add it all to the potatoes or save some to serve over top. Either way you dish it, these are sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Need a gravy recipe to serve these with? Try out my 5-star gravy recipe here.
More of a visual person? Check out the video:
Vegan Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes
FOR THE POTATOES
- 3 lbs russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp seasoning salt or to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh chives chopped
FOR THE BROWN BUTTER
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bunches fresh sage
- Place potatoes in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are fork tender (approx. 25 minutes).
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the brown butter. Add butter to a pan over medium heat. Once the butter melts, add the thyme and sage to the pan.
- Stir the butter every minute or so. The butter will begin to foam and then it will slowly turn brown. Continue to watch it and stir until there are brown specks in the bottom of the pan and the butter has a nice golden color. Remove the thyme and sage from the pan.
- Pour the butter into a bowl and set aside until ready to use.* Be careful, it may sizzle as you pour.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them and place the empty pot back on the stove. Place the drained potatoes in the pot along with the milk, cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt, pepper and 2 tbsp of the brown butter**. Using a hand masher, mash the potatoes until they are creamy and there are no more chunks.
- Add the chives and stir to combine with a wooden spoon. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Top with remaining brown butter and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!