Vegan Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
These Vegan Mashed Potatoes and Gravy are creamy, rich and so flavorful. The gravy is better than any turkey gravy – thanks to one secret ingredient.
Being vegan at Thanksgiving can feel a little overwhelming – especially if it is your first holiday season meat/dairy-free (like me).
My boyfriend and I have been thinking about this a lot the last couple months – cooking Thanksgiving dinner was always “our thing”. Now after 5 years of making our go-to faves we are going to have to cut out the turkey, the butter, the cheese, the chicken broth…I mean chicken broth is kind of the backbone of all Thanksgiving foods.
We were getting a little sad thinking about how different our holiday was going to look.
BUT, instead of focusing on all of the things that would be different, we focused on how we can transform our favorites into an amazingly delicious vegan feast.
And today I am going to share with you Vegan Mashed Potatoes + Gravy.
The potatoes are creamy and rich and the gravy is just as (or more) flavorful than any turkey gravy I have ever had/made.
And I have to thank my secret ingredient for this gravy.
If you have never tried this vegetarian bouillon – you have to! I keep both the vegetarian chicken and beef flavors on hand – and I swear by them. Any recipe that calls for chicken or beef broth can be replaced with these. Perfect for soups…or for gravy!
I found the beef flavor at my Whole Foods, but they were out of stock of the chicken so I had to get that on Amazon – here. Be careful when buying – they sell non-vegetarian versions and they have very similar packaging – just look for the “vegetarian” label.
This recipe makes about 4 servings of potatoes and 8+ servings of gravy – which is perfect for someone like me who likes to add gravy to my entire plate of food on Thanksgiving 🙂
Want more Thanksgiving recipes? Head here to see them all!
Are you a visual learner? Check out the video here:
Vegan Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
FOR THE POTATOES
- Cut potatoes into equal size pieces. Add to a large pot and pour in water until potatoes are covered. Place on stove and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- While potatoes are cooking, make the gravy. Combine corn starch and 1/2 cup water in a bowl and whisk until combined and corn starch is dissolved.
- In a sauce pan combine bouillon, 3 cups water, poultry seasoning and white pepper. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, whisking frequently. Once it begins to boil, add corn starch mixture and decrease heat to low. Whisk frequently until gravy begins to thicken.* Add pepper to taste. Leave on low heat until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.
- When potatoes are tender (approx. 30 mins) remove pot from heat and drain. Add drained potatoes back to the pot. Add butter and 1/4 cup milk. Use a potato masher to break apart potatoes and incorporate the butter & milk. Add an additional 1/4 cup milk and continue to mash until potatoes are smooth (or until desired consistency is reached).
- Add garlic powder, salt and pepper and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving dish and top with chives. Serve with hot gravy.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!