Set it and forget it - these Slow Cooker Vegan Mashed Potatoes are the perfect make ahead holiday side dish. Garlic, herbs and non-dairy cream!
Awwwww...it's that time of year where potatoes deserve a place on the table every night of the week. And the best part about these mashed potatoes is that you can throw everything in the slow cooker, let the flavors meld for 4 hours and then mash everything up. Keep them on the warm setting until you're ready to eat. These are the perfect make ahead side for all of your holiday get togethers.
To peel or not to peel
The first thing you want to decide on is whether to peel your potatoes. Not a life altering decision but definitely a personal preference. I don't mind the skins, so I skipped peeling them for this recipe, but do whatever you prefer.
Drop the quartered potatoes in the slow cooker with non-dairy milk, non-dairy creamer, LOTS of garlic and some fresh herbs. If you have trouble finding non-dairy creamer (I get mine in the coffee creamer section at the store) you can just double up on the non-dairy milk. Whatever you use, just be sure it is UNSWEETENED. No one wants vanilla mashed potatoes.
Mash it up
After the potatoes are cooked through (about 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low), remove the fresh herbs and drain the potatoes - be sure to reserve the milk!
Add the potatoes back to the slow cooker with some vegan cream cheese, vegan butter and 1 cup of the reserved milk. Use a potato masher to get them nice and creamy - adding more of the reserved milk as needed. Season with salt and pepper and you're done!
Turn the slow cooker to warm and stir them occasionally until you're ready to eat. Make these ahead of time and you'll have one less thing to worry about on Thanksgiving.
Serve these with more herbs, vegan butter and vegan gravy!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Slow Cooker Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds baby dutch potatoes* quartered
- 1.5 cups non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 1.5 cups non-dairy creamer** unsweetened
- 8 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme plus more for serving
- 5 sage leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter plus more for serving
- Add the potatoes, non-dairy milk, non-dairy creamer, garlic, thyme and sage to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. You want the potatoes to be fork tender.
- Discard the sage and thyme. Drain the potatoes - being sure to reserve the milk/cream. Place the potatoes back in the slow cooker with the vegan cream cheese, vegan butter, 1 cup of the reserved milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher, adding more of the reserved milk until your desired consistency is reached. Taste and add more salt & pepper as needed. Cover and keep the potatoes on warm until ready to serve.
- Serve with vegan butter and fresh thyme.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!
Leave a Reply