This Vegan Thanksgiving Lentil Stromboli is the perfect main entree for your vegan holiday feast! Incredibly easy and full of so much flavor!
I did a poll on Instagram asking what you all NEEDED vegan-ized for your Thanksgiving table. And the overwhelming response was an entree! So I am here to deliver on that ask with this lentil stromboli (or loaf - call it whatever you want). It has all of the flavors of Thanksgiving in one compact package. You could easily just make this, some gravy and cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving and call it a day. It is THAT delicious!
How to make this Vegan Thanksgiving Lentil Stromboli
To keep this recipe simple, I used pre-made pizza dough. You can find this at most grocery stores and 9/10 times it will be vegan-friendly! Place the dough on a floured surface and let it come to room temperature while you prep the filling.
The filling is a combo of a roux, lentils, herbs, broth, veggies and tomato paste. It will look a little like a pile of mush when you cook it down on the stove. But I PROMISE it will taste good (and look much better once it's inside the dough).
Roll out the dough on a piece of parchment paper - this will help you transfer the whole thing to a baking sheet. Spread a layer of pre-made cranberry sauce down the center, then top it with the lentil mixture.
Use a sharp knife to cut strips in the dough down the edges. Starting from one end, wrap the filling with the strips. There is no need to overthink this part too much. It doesn't need to be perfect, you just want to make sure the dough covers the filling - the oven will do the rest.
For some extra flavor
Once everything is tucked in, grab the edges of the parchment paper and transfer the whole thing to a baking sheet. Mix some olive oil and herbs in a bowl and brush it on top of the dough. Pop it in the oven and let it bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
Take it out of the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes, so everything can firm up. Slice it into pieces and serve with vegan gravy and more cranberry sauce on the side.
You can easily make this ahead of time and reheat it on Thanksgiving. And it will also make great next day leftovers!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Vegan Thanksgiving Lentil Stromboli
- 16 ounces pre-made pizza dough
- flour for rolling out dough
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme finely diced
- 5 sage leaves finely diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- ¼ cup celery diced
- 1 cup broth I used vegan beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- ¼ cup cranberry sauce I used the one from Trader Joe's
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and allow to come to room temperature - for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Melt the vegan butter and olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the flour, thyme, sage and a pinch of salt & pepper. Whisk until smooth and bubbly.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook until slightly tender (approx. 3 minutes). Add the tomato paste, broth and lentils. Stir until combined and the broth has been absorbed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay down a piece of parchment paper the same size as the baking sheet you will use. Place the dough on the parchment paper and roll it into a rectangle. Spread the cranberry sauce down the center of the dough - being sure to leave an edge (see photos for reference). Add the lentil mixture on top of the cranberries.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 1 inch strips along the edges. Roll up the bottom edge, then begin crisscrossing the strips. Continue to crisscross the edges until they are all tucked in.* Grab the edges of the parchment paper and place the entire thing on the baking sheet.
- Combine the topping ingredients in a bowl. Brush on top of the dough. Place the loaf in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Slice into pieces and serve with vegan gravy.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!