The Best Vegan Gravy
Your Thanksgiving dinner will be extra tasty with this recipe for The Best Vegan Gravy. Smooth, savory and packed full of flavor, this stuff is the real deal.
Yay for November. Yay for cold weather. And yay for the holidays. Can you tell this is my favorite time of year?
I know everyone says they love this time of year, but I really love it! Like cozy blankets, apple cider, holiday movies every day of the week kind of love. Ok, I think you get the picture.
But, one of the best parts of this time of year is the food.
And believe me when I say that I have you covered for your holiday feasting.
In my opinion, the MOST important part of a holiday meal is the gravy.
Think about it…it goes on everything on the plate, it provides the bulk of the flavor and it keeps everything moist and delicious.
It is the star of the show.
How to make The Best Vegan Gravy
Traditional gravy calls for the drippings of a turkey. Luckily for us vegans, I have found the secret ingredient that gives you that deep, rich flavor – no animal fat required.
And that super special, must-have ingredient is one I’ve shared with you many times.
It is the Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base. I don’t know how they make this stuff, but it is a vegan’s dream.
I have been recommending this stuff since the first time I tried it, and I continue singing it’s praises because I haven’t found anything that has even come close.
The only store I have been able to find the vegetarian version of this brand at is Whole Foods. It’s really inexpensive and will last you all season – a little goes a long way.
*If you don’t have a Whole Foods near you, they also have it available online here.
Other than that, we are just going to make a simple roux, add in some spices and call it a day. This recipe only takes minutes to make but tastes like the flavors have been developing all day.
*Looking for a low fat version? Check out my Mashed Potatoes and Gravy recipe from last year.
Want more Thanksgiving inspo? Check out all of my Thanksgiving recipes here.
The Best Vegan Gravy
- Add bouillon and water to a mixing cup and stir until bouillon is dissolved.
- Heat a sauce pan over medium heat. Add butter and flour and whisk until butter is melted and a smooth & bubbly roux begins to form (approx. 2 minutes).
- Pour in bouillon/water mix and continue to whisk until it heats through and begins to bubble (approx. 5 minutes).
- Gravy should begin to thicken, but if it is not thick enough, combine 1 tbsp of flour with 1 tbsp of water in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth, then add to the gravy. Repeat with additional flour/water until desired thickness is reached.
- Once it reaches your desired thickness, turn heat to low and add poultry seasoning and pepper. Whisk one final time and taste to adjust seasoning.
- Serve immediately or leave on stove over low heat (whisking regularly) until ready to use.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!