The perfect savory breakfast - these Vegan Potato & Egg Breakfast Tacos have veggies, soyrizo, scrambled vegan eggs and plenty of toppings!
I love a good taco!!! And why limit yourself to only having tacos for lunch or dinner when you can have them for breakfast too? These tacos are layered with flavor and you have SO MANY options when it comes to the toppings. Spice these up or keep them mild - they are tasty no matter what.
How to make the potatoes
The real trick to these potatoes is to cut them into teeny tiny cubes! I'm talking about ¼" small cubes. Any bigger and they won't cook quickly in the skillet. So be sure to pay extra attention when dicing them.
In addition to the potatoes you are going to cook down some other veggies, spices AND soyrizo. Soyrizo is one of my favorite vegan "meat" substitutes. It is seasoned well and cooks up quickly. Plus it lends itself to breakfast!
Once the potatoes have cooked through and everything is a little bit browned, you can transfer everything to a bowl and cover to keep warm while you scramble the "eggs".
What are vegan eggs?
I have used vegan eggs in a few recipes - Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole, Fried Rice, Breakfast Bagels. My go-to brand for vegan eggs is Just. You can use their store locator to find out where they are sold near you. These vegan eggs are made from mung beans and it is crazy how well they scramble and look like the real deal.
You can also use a different brand if you have one that you like OR you could swap it out for tofu scramble.
How to serve Vegan Potato & Egg Breakfast Tacos
Once you have the base components ready, it is time to talk about toppings. As with all tacos, the toppings are one of the most important parts. Here are some options:
- avocado or guacamole
- purple cabbage
- lime wedges
- jalapeño cilantro sauce
- hot sauce
- green onion
- jalapeño slices
Grab your favorites and load up your tacos! You can also lay out the toppings and have a taco bar where everyone can build their own.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Vegan Potato & Egg Breakfast Tacos
FOR THE POTATOES
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper diced
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 jalapeño diced - seeds and stems removed for less spice
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1 russet potato* cut in ¼" cubes
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 oz soyrzio
FOR THE EGGS
- olive oil
- 12 oz Just vegan egg**
- salt & pepper to taste
- hot sauce optional
FOR THE TACOS
- 8 tortillas corn or flour
- vegan cream cheese I used Kite Hill
- purple cabbage, jalapeño, cilantro, lime wedges, hot sauce, avocado, salsa optional toppings
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add all of the potato ingredients (except for the soyrizo) and stir to coat evenly. Spread everything out in an even layer and cook for 10 minutes, flipping halfway. Add the soyrizo and stir until evenly distributed. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until everything is crispy and the potatoes are cooked through. Be sure to lower the heat if at any point the veggies start to burn. Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Place the empty pan back on the stove and heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the vegan egg, salt, pepper & hot sauce and cook until scrambled. Remove from the heat and cover until ready to serve.
- Heat the tortillas over an open flame or in a skillet.
- To assemble, spread a thin layer of vegan cream cheese down the center of each tortilla. Top with vegan egg, potatoes and any optional toppings you are using.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!