These Air Fryer Potato Wedges are perfectly crunchy, smoky and garlicky. Serve them with your…
These Vegan Chicken Satay Bowls are loaded with coconut rice, spinach, air fryer vegan chicken satay skewers and a curry peanut sauce! Comforting and quick dinner idea!
I’m so excited for this recipe!!! I’ve literally made it 3 times in the last couple weeks because I am OBSESSED with it! Crispy vegan chicken strips that are marinated for 2 hours, a curry peanut sauce that is heavenly and coconut rice.
These bowls are beyond comforting, super savory and the perfect healthy weeknight dinner.
How to Make Vegan Chicken Satay Skewers
The most important part of this recipe is the marinade. Not only are you going to marinate the vegan chicken strips in it, you are also going to use it to make the peanut sauce. Yep, nothing is going to waste 😉
The type of vegan chicken you use for these bowls is also important. You want it to be un-breaded and thawed. I used Lightlife strips. You also want to poke the strips with a fork before putting them in the marinade. This will allow the marinade to seep inside. Aka, more flavor.
The other tip I have for making these is to use 6″ wood skewers. You can find the ones I used here. They are the perfect size for the air fryer and you only need to put 1 vegan chicken strip on each one.
Just be sure to soak your skewers in water for 20 minutes before cooking. This will ensure the skewers don’t burn.
How to Cook Vegan Chicken Satay
As you know I am obsessed with my air fryer – I’ve been sharing lots of air fryer recipes like Air Fryer Falafel Bites, Air Fryer Rolled Tacos, Air Fryer Buffalo Tempeh. So when I was thinking about how I wanted to cook these, I obviously went straight to my air fryer. It makes these skewers perfectly crisp in just 8 minutes.
But have no fear if you don’t have an air fryer yet. I also included baking instructions 😉
How to Make the Curry Peanut Sauce
Like I mentioned, to make the curry peanut sauce for these bowls we are just going to repurpose the marinade with a couple of additional ingredients.
As a side note, it is these kinds of recipes that make me love being vegan even more. We are able to reuse the marinade for our dipping sauce without worrying about chicken juices and salmonella 🤢
While the vegan chicken is cooking, simply add the remaining marinade to a pan with peanut butter and water and whisk until smooth. You can also add more soy sauce, lime juice, red pepper flakes, sriracha…or just leave it as is. Lots of options for this tasty sauce.
How to Assemble Vegan Chicken Satay Bowls
To assemble, add Coconut Rice and spinach to each bowl. Top them off with hot skewers, a drizzle of curry peanut sauce & green onions. Serve with lime wedges on the side and get to eating.
If you are making these ahead of time, just keep the hot and cold ingredients separate and combine them when you are ready to eat. I also like to eat these bowls cold, so if you want a super lazy lunch, just skip the reheating and eat it as a cold salad.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Vegan Chicken Satay Bowls
- 1/4 cup coconut milk I used whole fat from a can
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 12 vegan chicken strips I used Lightlife
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanut butter
- water as needed
- Coconut Rice*
- lime wedges
- green onions diced
- Add the coconut milk, soy sauce, brown sugar, ground ginger, turmeric, curry powder, chili garlic sauce and garlic to a bowl. Whisk together until combined.
- Poke the vegan chicken strips with a fork so the marinade can seep through.
- Add the vegan chicken to the marinade and toss to combine. Cover and place in the fridge for 2 hours (or longer). Feel free to flip the vegan chicken halfway through to make sure it is fully marinaded.
- When you are ready to eat, prepare the coconut rice according to the recipe.
- Remove the vegan chicken from the marinade (reserving the marinade in the bowl for the peanut sauce) and thread onto 6" wood skewers (be sure to soak the skewers in water for 20 minutes before using them so they don't burn).
- Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick spray and place the skewers in a single layer (you may need to work in batches). Cook at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, flipping halfway.
- While the vegan chicken is cooking, prepare the peanut sauce. Add the reserved marinade and the peanut butter to a pan over medium heat. Whisk until combined adding water as needed. If it needs more flavor, add more soy sauce and lime juice.
- To serve, add coconut rice, spinach and vegan chicken skewers to each bowl. Top with peanut sauce, green onions and lime wedges.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!