This Simple Vegan Coconut Rice is decadent, buttery and the perfect addition to any meal. You won’t want to eat rice any other way after you try this.
This is one of those recipes that is so simple you wouldn’t think it would be as delicious as it is. But I am here to tell you…this coconut rice is freaking delicious. Like, I don’t know if I’ll be able to eat plain rice anymore. It is that good.
It has a buttery texture that makes it taste extra decadent (like, restaurant quality, but without all the extra butter and oil they add).
How to Make Simple Vegan Coconut Rice
This is seriously the easiest side to make. Start by sautéing garlic, green onions and the dry rice in a pan with a little bit of olive oil. You don’t need to actually brown the rice, but you do want to smell it toasting.
Next add the coconut milk, water, lime juice and soy sauce to the pan. Bring it to a boil, then cover the pan and lower the heat. Let the rice simmer until the liquid is absorbed – about 15 minutes.
Lastly taste the finished rice and add a pinch of salt to your liking. Serve the rice with the remaining green onions and enjoy!
What to Serve with Simple Vegan Coconut Rice
You can serve this coconut rice with just about anything, but I would recommend these recipes in particular:
Simple Vegan Coconut Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 3 green onions diced, whites & greens separated
- 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice dry
- 1 cup coconut milk I used whole fat, but you can use low fat
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 lime juiced
- salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, whites of the green onions and the rice to the pan. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until the rice smells toasted. Make sure to continuously stir so the garlic doesn't burn.
- Add the coconut milk, water, soy sauce & lime juice to the rice. Stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pan and lower heat. Simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed – approximately 15 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and add salt to taste. Serve with remaining green onions.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!