This Air Fryer Buffalo Tempeh is perfectly crispy & spicy. Serve as an appetizer with some vegan ranch or over a salad for a healthy dinner.
I know, I know, I KNOW...another buffalo recipe. Shocker, right? 😂
By now you know that I love a good buffalo recipe (Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos, Buffalo Mac & Cheese, Buffalo Chickpea Wraps). BUT one thing I know about TSV readers is that you guys LOVE buffalo recipes too. So, I'm glad we can be on the same team when it comes to this tasty, spicy sauce.
I also have gotten so much great feedback on the addition of air fryer recipes on TSV. I wasn't sure if I would get enough use out of my air fryer when I first purchased it, but I literally use it everyday. It has replaced my toaster and oven for many recipes. Which is especially great during the warm months when you don't want to heat up the house with cooking.
How to Make Air Fryer Buffalo Tempeh
This buffalo tempeh is ridiculously easy to make. Slice up your tempeh into strips - if you haven't bought tempeh before, you can usually find it in the refrigerator section near the tofu. Marinate the tempeh slices in a mixture of buffalo sauce, garlic powder, chili powder and pepper for 30 minutes.
Next, coat the marinated tempeh in panko breadcrumbs (they will easily stick to the marinade) and place them in the air fryer basket. You want them to lay in a single layer in the basket, so work in batches if needed. Cook for 12-15 minutes at 330 degrees (no need to flip) until nice and crispy.
Lastly, toss with some more buffalo sauce and serve them up. You can either eat these as a snack/appetizer with a side of vegan ranch or add them to your favorite salad for a healthy dinner.
If You are Sensitive to Heat
If you are sensitive to spicy food, there are a couple of things you can do to tame these down:
- When marinating the strips, swap ¼ cup of buffalo sauce for water.
- Add 2 tablespoon of melted vegan butter to the second coating of buffalo sauce before tossing the cooked strips in it.
- Omit the second coating of buffalo sauce altogether.
Air Fryer Buffalo Tempeh
- 8 oz tempeh cut into 24 strips
- ¾ cup buffalo sauce separated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- panko breadcrumbs
- Cut tempeh into 24 equal strips.
- Add ½ cup buffalo sauce, garlic powder, chili powder & pepper to a bowl. Stir to combine. Add the tempeh strips to the bowl and gently stir to combine until coated evenly. Place in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to cook them, add panko breadcrumbs to a bowl. Working 3 strips at a time, add them to the panko and coat on both sides. Place coated strips on a plate. Repeat until all of the strips are coated. Reserve the remaining marinade in the bowl.
- Spray air fryer basket with non-stick spray (optional) and place strips in a single layer - you may need to work in batches. Cook at 330 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Once all of the strips are cooked, add the remaining ¼ cup of buffalo sauce* to the leftover marinade. Add cooked strips to the bowl and toss until coated with sauce. Serve immediately.**
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!
Made these for Super Bowl snacks; they were delicious 🙂
So great to hear! Thanks Jen!
This was delicious! Thank you for sharing . We put in a big salad. Super fast and easy too
Hi Sharan - that sounds like the perfect way to eat these! So glad you enjoyed!
I'd like to make these, but don't have an air fryer. (It's on the list, just haven't "shopped" it yet.) So if using a conventional oven, what would you suggest for temp and bake times? Thanks in advance for any suggest and advice. P.S. I've made your Ranch dressing several times and it's THE BOMB! So delicious, and easy to prep. The Mason jar I make it in has its own parking space in our fridge! 😋
Haha - love the ranch comment. And I would say to bake these at 375 for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway 👍
you are the queen of buffalo and vegan food
I will gladly take that title 😂
This recipe is so good! My left overs were even just as good the next day. My boyfriend usually doesn’t like tempeh but approved of this recipe. Will definitely be making this again.
Yay! So glad you both liked it. I think the key to tempeh is marinating it 👍
Because of this recipe (and the biscuit bites!) I’m getting an air fryer for my birthday 🥳 🔥🥂. You are amazing!
Yay! You are going to love it! I use mine everyday! Happy Birthday!!!
I’m finally making this recipe 😋💃. Which buffalo sauce do you use? I’ve found Primal Kitchen but I’m not sure that I like it…
I use Franks! 🤗
yum!! Def making these to add to my salads!
Yes! That's how I love to eat this too! Love a crunchy bite in my salads 🙂