These Air Fryer Zucchini Chips with Vegan Basil Aioli are the best snack idea! They are crispy, flavor-packed and a healthier version of chips!
Welp, we are here. The official end of Summer 2020. This may not be a traditional year (by any means), but one thing you can still count on is an abundance of zucchini. And what better way to use up those zucchini than with crispy, savory Air Fryer Zucchini Chips?!?
Oh, and we’re dipping them in the BEST vegan aioli. I’m telling you, these are addicting.
How to Make Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
Making these little guys is seriously easy. Prep your breading station, spray the air fryer basket with olive oil and cook for 10 minutes. You will probably need to work in batches – unless you have one of those air fryers that has multiple trays. But if your air fryer is like mine, it will take 2-3 batches to get all of these done.
Good luck not snacking on the finished ones while you wait for the 2nd and 3rd batches to cook.
What is Aquafaba?
When you check the ingredient list, you will see “aquafaba” as the wet ingredient for breading the zucchini. Don’t freak out, this isn’t some obscure ingredient you can only get from a specialty store. In fact, you probably already have it on hand.
Aquafaba is simply the liquid that is in a can of chickpeas. And that magical liquid is the perfect egg-replacement for breading! Just drain the chickpeas, reserving the liquid. You can use the chickpeas for another recipe like my Chickpea Salad Wraps, Roasted Chickpea Quinoa Bowls or Zesty Chickpea Meatballs.
What to Serve Air Fryer Zucchini Chips With
You could serve these chips with any of your favorite sauces, but if you are able to make the Vegan Basil Aioli, then I would go with that. Garlic, basil and vegan mayo. It is the ultimate combo.
It is seriously the most delicious aioli dip. AND you can use up the last of your summer basil at the same time!
Air Fryer Zucchini Chips with Vegan Basil Aioli
- 2 medium zucchini cut in 1/4" rounds
- 1/2 cup flour
- aquafaba* from 1 can of chickpeas
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- olive oil spray
- salt to taste
FOR THE VEGAN BASIL AIOLI
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 10 basil leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- water as needed
- Place a strainer in a bowl. Pour the can of chickpeas into the strainer, reserving the aquafaba* in the bowl. Save the chickpeas and use them for another recipe.
- Add the flour to a bowl.
- Add the breadcrumbs, smoked paprika, garlic powder and pepper to another bowl and stir to combine.
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil.
- Bread the zucchini slices by dipping them in flour, then aquafaba then the panko mixture. Being sure to press the breadcrumbs into the zucchini until it sticks. Place the finished zucchini slices in the air fryer basket in a single layer (you will need to work in batches).
- Once the basket is full, spray the top of the zucchini with olive oil and cook it in the air fryer for 10 minutes at 400 degrees (no need to flip).
- While the zucchini is cooking, prepare the basil aioli by combining all of the ingredients (except the water) in a food processor. Blend, scraping down the sides as needed. With the motor running, add water until the desired consistency is reached and everything is combined. Transfer to a bowl and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Remove the zucchini from the air fryer and transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and serve with the basil aioli.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!