These Butternut Squash Quinoa Bowls are a hearty, healthy and tasty meal. Filled with roasted veggies, marinated kale and a mustard tahini dressing!
Butternut squash is one of my absolute favorite veggies to roast during the colder months. It can take on so many different flavors and goes well on just about anything. It is especially tasty in these quinoa bowls!
I know "quinoa and kale bowls" sounds so basic and boring. But trust me, there is nothing boring going on here.
How to roast butternut squash
The first thing you will need to decide when making this recipe is how to purchase your butternut squash. Whole or pre-cut.
I go with with pre-cut 99% of the time. It is convenient and cuts your prep time way down. But if this isn't an option, go ahead and buy a whole squash. You will just need to peel it, deseed it and chop it yourself.
Once you have your squash in bite sized pieces, go ahead and give it some seasoning. Load it onto a parchment lined baking sheet and roast it for 20 minutes - flipping halfway. It will be tender on the inside and have a slight crust on the outside. This stuff is good.
How to assemble Butternut Squash Quinoa Bowls
The squash is literally the hardest part of this recipe - and it's not even hard. While your squash is cooking whip up some quinoa (or buy it pre-made in the frozen section for an even quicker meal), make the dressing, and massage that kale.
In this recipe I decided to massage my kale with avocado instead of lemon juice. It gives it a different texture and adds avocado. I mean, you can't go wrong.
I like serving these bowls when the squash and quinoa are still warm. That way you have a hot and cold element in the bowls. But you could just as easily let everything cool and serve this as a cold salad. Which is especially nice if you have leftovers. No need to reheat the next day.
Add everything to a bowl, drizzle on some dressing and get to eating. This recipe is literally Fall in a bowl.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Butternut Squash Quinoa Bowls
FOR THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH
FOR THE QUINOA
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vegan chicken bouillon* optional
- 1 cup quinoa dry
FOR THE TAHINI DRESSING
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- lemon juice to taste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- pepper to taste
- water as needed
FOR THE SALAD
- 4 cups kale shredded
- 1 avocado
- ½ red onion chopped
- lemon wedges, pepper for serving.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add butternut squash, olive oil, smoked paprika, oregano, salt & pepper to the baking sheet and toss to coat evenly. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes (flipping halfway).
- To make the quinoa, add the water to a pot and bring to a boil. Rinse the quinoa. Add the bouillon (or a pinch of salt if you aren't using bouillon) to the boiling water followed by the rinsed quinoa. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add water until desired consistency is reached. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To marinate the kale, combine the kale, avocado and a pinch of salt & pepper to a bowl. Use your (clean) hands to mash the avocado into the kale. Once combined, place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To assemble, add a layer of kale to each bowl. Top the kale with some red onion, quinoa, butternut squash and a drizzle of dressing. Serve with lemon wedges and black pepper.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!