These Vegan Butternut Squash Tacos with Chipotle Cilantro Sauce are a healthy mix of roasted veggies, crunchy toppings and spicy sauce.
I don’t know about you, but I could eat tacos just about every day of the year. There are just so many flavor combos, the possibilities are endless.
And today’s taco recipe is specifically tailored for Fall. Loaded with roasted butternut squash, crunchy cabbage & lettuce and a spicy chipotle cilantro sauce. These tacos have so many layers of flavor, you are going to want to make them again and again.
PLUS, these come together in 30 minutes, making them the perfect weeknight dinner.
How to make these Vegan Butternut Squash Tacos
To get started, roast the squash and red onions with a little bit of olive oil and taco seasoning.
While the veggies are roasting, prepare your chipotle cilantro sauce by combining everything in a blender or food processor (I used my immersion blender – get it here). Set it aside and prep the rest of your toppings.
I topped these tacos with a combination of romaine and red cabbage – I think these two give these tacos the perfect amount of crunch. Lastly, dice some avocados and some more cilantro, and you are ready to assemble.
I like to heat my tortillas on an open flame, but you can also heat them up in the microwave or oven.
To assemble, layer some lettuce, cabbage, avocado and roasted veggies. Add a drizzle of sauce and a sprinkle of cilantro and get to eating!
Need more taco inspo? Check out these recipes:
- Crispy Vegan Potato Tacos with Jalapeño Cilantro Sauce
- Buffalo Chickpea Tacos with Vegan Ranch
- Marinated Pinto Bean Tacos
More of a visual person? Check out the video of how to make these Vegan Butternut Squash Tacos:
Vegan Butternut Squash Tacos with Chipotle Cilantro Sauce
FOR THE ROASTED VEGGIES
- 2 cups butternut squash cut in cubes
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- red pepper flakes optional
FOR THE CHIPOTLE CILANTRO SAUCE
- 2-4 chipotles in adobo sauce comes in a can
- 1-2 tbsp adobo sauce from the can
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lime juiced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bunch cilantro stems removed + more for topping
FOR THE TACOS
- 8 taco-sized flour tortillas
- 1 cup red cabbage chopped
- 1 cup romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 avocados diced
- lime wedges for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add butternut squash, red onion, olive oil, taco seasoning and red pepper flakes to the baking sheet and toss to coat evenly. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes (flipping halfway).
- While the veggies are roasting, prepare the chipotle cilantro sauce. Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and pulse until combined.* Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- Heat the tortillas over an open flame (or in the oven/microwave) and assemble the tacos.
- Layer lettuce, cabbage, avocado and roasted veggies in each tortilla. Top with a drizzle of chipotle cilantro sauce and serve with additional cilantro and lime wedges.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!