Vegan Butternut Squash and Sausage Pizza
This Vegan Butternut Squash and Sausage Pizza is the ultimate Fall pizza recipe. Complete with a cream cheese sauce, caramelized onions & fried sage.
Can we just talk about the fact that this pizza has all of the best Fall flavors combined into one amazing bite? I’m talking roasted butternut squash, caramelized onions, spicy sausage and fried sage. It is literally a party in your mouth.
Now to get all of these amazing flavors, it is going to take a little time and few steps. But believe me, it is worth the time.
The most time-intensive part of this recipe is the caramelized onions. If you have ever made caramelized onions before, then you know the process. It is all about cooking them low and slow. That is how they get that nice golden color and the amazing flavor.
To make the onions extra delicious, I also cooked them in the same oil that I cooked the sausage in. So they absorbed all of that amazing leftover flavor.
Other than the onions and sausage, you are just going to roast the butternut squash (I bought mine pre-cut) with a few spices.
Once you have everything prepped it is time to assemble.
How to assemble your Vegan Butternut Squash and Sausage Pizza
I (per usual) used a pre-made dough. It is just so much easier than making it from scratch and you can find dough at just about any grocery store.
You MUST roll out your dough over corn meal. It gives the crust the perfect amount of crunch. I mean, you can use flour, but if you have corn meal, use it!
Spread out your dough on a baking sheet or pizza stone and spread the cream cheese sauce over the whole thing. Top it with your onions, sausage and butternut squash and place it in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
AND, while the pizza is cooking, quickly fry some fresh sage leaves in a little oil or vegan butter and set aside.
When your pizza is done, pull it out of the oven and top it with the sage, fresh thyme and some chunky salt. Slice it up and dance around your kitchen…because I’m telling you, this is a party in your mouth.
Need more pizza insp? Check out these other recipes:
Vegan Butternut Squash and Sausage Pizza
- 16 oz pre-made pizza dough
- corn meal for rolling dough out
- 2 cups butternut squash cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 shallot roughly sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil separated
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 oz vegan sausage
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- fresh thyme
- 5 sage leaves
- Spread corn meal out on a cutting board and place dough on it for 30-60 minutes, or until room temperature.
- While the dough is resting, preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread butternut squash and shallot out on the baking sheet and drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the squash. Sprinkle with paprika, oregano, salt & pepper. Toss to evenly coat. Place a few sprigs of fresh thyme on the baking sheet and place in the oven for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add vegan sausage to the pan and break apart with a wooden spoon. Cook until evenly browned then remove from the pan and set aside until ready to use.
- Lower the heat and add the onion to the pan. Cook, stirring regularly, until onions are caramelized, but not browned. As the onions start to stick to the pan, add a splash of water. This should take 15-20 minutes.
- Combine the vegan cream cheese, garlic powder, a pinch of salt & pepper, and 1 tsp of fresh thyme leaves in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Increase the oven heat to 475 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and spread dough out until the desired shape is reached. Spread the cream cheese mixture out on the dough, leaving a 1 inch crust.
- Layer the onions, sausage and butternut squash on the dough. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is browned.
- While the pizza is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a small pan. Add the sage leaves and cook until crispy (approx. 2 minutes). Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and crumble the fried sage over the pizza. Add some fresh thyme and a pinch of chunky salt, slice, serve and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!