This Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta with Fried Sage is the perfect comforting Fall meal. With just a few ingredients and one hour, you will have a decadent and tasty pasta dish.
Welp, it is officially Fall people. Pumpkin spice lattes, sweaters and Hocus Pocus is in the air. Only one thing is missing...all of the carbs!
And this pasta dish is not going to disappoint. It is creamy, savory and super simple.
Butternut squash, onions and garlic are cooked down with broth and a couple spices before being blended together to make the creamiest tastiest sauce. Are you as surprised as me that it is that easy? Because it truly is that easy.
And the most surprising part of all? There is no cream in this creamy sauce. Whattttt? How can this be? Well the squash provides the perfect creamy base, and with just a touch of vegan butter, this sauce gets ultra silky.
Serve this up with some vegan parmesan and fried sage and you are going to be in pasta heaven.
I'm not going to lie, you could easily bypass the pasta and just eat the sauce as a soup. Serve it up with some toasted bread slices and top it with the fried sage and call it a day. I'm telling you, you will want to eat this sauce by the spoonful.
More of a visual person? Check out the video:
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta with Fried Sage
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 tablespoon sage leaves chopped
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, seeds removed, and chopped in ½" cubes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegan broth*
- red pepper flakes optional
- 1 lb spaghetti
- vegan parmesan optional
- Melt butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Add sage and a pinch of salt to the pan and sauté for 1-2 minutes (or until crispy). Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel.
- Lower heat to medium and add garlic, onion and butternut squash to the pan. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and sauté for 10 minutes (or until onions are translucent).
- Add broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes (or until squash is fork tender).
- While the squash mixture is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta to the pan and cook until al dente. Drain pasta and set aside until ready to use.
- Add squash mixture to a blender and combine until smooth - you can also use an immersion blender. Taste and add salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Place pan you cooked the squash in back on the stovetop over low heat. Combine sauce and pasta in the pan and toss to combine. Serve with vegan parmesan, additional black pepper and fried sage.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!