Vegan Spinach & Gnocchi Soup
This Vegan Spinach & Gnocchi Soup is creamy and comforting. A dairy-free creamy soup that is easy to make and perfect on a cold night.
This Vegan Spinach & Gnocchi Soup is everything you could want in a creamy soup! It has that comforting, creamy texture, but it is also veggie-packed and light. This vegan soup is not only totally delicious, it is also super simple!
Step One: Prep the Base
Melt vegan butter in a stock pot over medium heat. Add yellow onion, garlic, thyme & Italian seasoning and cook down for a couple minutes. You want the onion to be tender and the herbs to be fragrant.
Add flour to the pot and cook down for 2 minutes. The flour will help thicken up the soup, but you want to make sure it cooks down so that “flour flavor” is cooked out.
Pour in broth, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Use an immersion blender (or standing blender) and blend the soup until smooth.
Blending the soup is optional. It just gives the soup a super creamy texture. But you can skip this step if you are short on time.
Step Two: Finish it
Pour in non-dairy milk & uncooked gnocchi. Bring the broth to a boil and once the gnocchi floats to the top, you know it is cooked through.
Lower the heat and add spinach, vegan parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir until the cheese melts and the spinach wilts. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Step Three: Serve it
And that is it! The soup should be creamy, the veggies should be tender and the gnocchi should be soft. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with fresh parsley.
And, if you’re like me, be sure to make some garlic toast for dipping. Not a necessary step, but a delicious addition.
This soup is comforting and simple. It is the perfect addition to your fall dinner calendar.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Vegan Spinach & Gnocchi Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups broth I used vegan chicken broth
- 1 cup non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 16 ounces gnocchi
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan I used Trader Joe's
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley for serving
- bread optional, for serving
- Melt the butter in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme & Italian seasoning and cook down for a couple minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Use an immersion blender (or standing blender) and blend the soup until smooth. Pour in the milk & gnocchi and bring to a boil. Once the gnocchi floats to the top, lower the heat and add the spinach, parm and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir until the cheese melts and the spinach wilts. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with parsley on top and crusty bread on the side.
- Blending the soup is optional – I just wanted a super creamy texture.