These Vegan Grilled Pita Sandwiches are the perfect lunch! Roasted red peppers, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, basil aioli and cream cheese.
Everything about these Vegan Grilled Pita Sandwiches is amazing. From the tasty filling, to the crispy bread, to the homemade basil aioli. These are packed with flavor and a super easy lunch idea. Serve them up with a salad on the side for the perfect meal.
How to make basil aioli
The vegan basil aioli is really the star of the show. You've seen it before with my Air Fryer Zucchini Chips and my Black Bean Sliders. And I had to bring it back for this recipe because it is seriously SO TASTY!
It is a simple combo of vegan mayo, olive oil, fresh basil, garlic, salt & pepper. Blend it up (if you have an immersion blender, this is the perfect time to use it) and add water as needed. You will probably have more aioli than you need, so you can either serve the extra on the side or save it for another recipe.
How to make Vegan Grilled Pita Sandwiches
Other than the aioli, the other thing you need to prep is the wilted spinach. Add some sun-dried tomatoes (with some oil from the jar) and a few big handfuls of spinach to a pan over medium heat. It should only take 1-2 minutes for the spinach to wilt. Once it's wilted, turn off the heat and set it aside.
Before cutting the pita bread in half, I like to heat mine up so that it is easier to work with. You can either heat them over an open flame or a microwave.
To assemble, open each pita pocket and layer vegan cream cheese, roasted peppers, basil aioli, red onion & spinach. They don't need to be perfect or pretty, when they are grilled, everything will get smushed down and combined together.
Brush the pitas with olive oil and place them on a griddle. Press them down while they grill and flip once one side is browned.
How to serve Vegan Grilled Pita Sandwiches
Once the pitas are crispy, serve them up right away. Like I mentioned, you can serve the extra aioli on the side. These also go great with a simple side salad of greens, red onion, olive oil and vinegar.
If you have leftovers, you can reheat them on the stove over low heat until warmed through.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Vegan Grilled Pita Sandwiches
FOR THE BASIL AIOLI
FOR THE SANDWICHES
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 2 whole pitas cut in half
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers drained and patted dry
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- olive oil
- Combine the aioli ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until combined, adding water as needed to thin. Set aside.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes* and spinach to a pan over medium heat. Cook for a couple of minutes, or until the spinach is wilted. Set aside.
- Heat the pita bread over an open flame or the microwave (this will make them easier to work with). Cut the pitas in half. To each half layer the vegan cream cheese, roasted peppers**, basil aioli,*** red onion & spinach. Lightly brush the pitas with olive oil.
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat. Grill the pitas (working in batches if needed), flipping once the bottom side is browned, and lowering the heat as needed. Remove from the griddle and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!