These Vegan Mediterranean Sandwiches are packed with sun-dried tomato & basil spread, roasted red peppers…
These Roasted Tomato Sandwiches with Vegan Lemon Garlic Aioli are loaded with avocado, arugula and some of the tastiest tomato slices.
Sometimes you just need a tasty sandwich that is simple and easy. And this sandwich is exactly that. It is basically avocado toast taken to the next level.
And just because it is simple to make doesn’t mean it is lacking in flavor. First let’s talk about the lemon garlic aioli.
With just a few ingredients you are going to have the best sandwich spread EVER! Vegan mayo, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic are combined in a bowl and chilled until you are ready to eat. This stuff is finger-licking good.
TSV TIP: I like to get my vegan mayo from Thrive Market. They are an online grocery store that delivers organic, vegan goods right to your door. I get all of my staple ingredients from them. If you haven’t tried them out (and want to) click this link to get 25% off your first order!
The tomatoes are also simple to make (are you seeing the trend with this recipe?) but pack SO much flavor. I love when tomatoes are in season. They are so flavorful and sweet. So you best believe that tomatoes are going to be making a big appearance over the next few months here on TSV.
I, of course, chose sourdough for this sandwich – I mean, I can never get enough sourdough. You can use any bread you like, but I would choose something hearty so it can hold up with all of the toppings.
To get the sandwich extra toasty, you are going to slather some vegan butter on each slice and grill them in a pan before assembling. P.S. I personally love Earth Balance Butter.
To finish off this sammie, add some fresh basil leaves, arugula and avocado slices.
This sandwich is definitely not lacking in flavor. I could literally eat this every day!
Roasted Tomato Sandwiches with Vegan Lemon Garlic Aioli
- 2 large tomatoes cut in 8 slices
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- dried oregano
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1-2 cloves garlic diced
- vegan butter
- 4 slices sourdough bread or bread of choice
- 1 large avocado
- fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place sliced tomatoes on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt, pepper & oregano on each slice. Place in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes – or until tomatoes are tender.
- While the tomatoes are cooking prepare the lemon garlic aioli. Combine the vegan mayo, lemon juice, garlic and a sprinkle of salt & pepper in a bowl. Stir to combine and adjust seasoning as needed. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- Spread butter on one side of each bread slice. Heat a pan over medium heat. Place bread (butter-side down) in the pan and cook until browned. Remove bread from the pan.
- To assemble, spread lemon garlic aioli on each slice of bread. Top with tomatoes, avocado, arugula and basil. Slice and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!