This Grilled Veggie Sandwich with Vegan Basil Aioli is packed full of marinated veg and a creamy spread filled with garlic and fresh basil.
Last week we talked about how to make an amazing Grilled Veggie Platter.
Marinated veggies, grilled to perfection before being served up with creamy hummus.
But what happens when you grill up a bunch of tasty veggies and end up with some leftover?
You make a sandwich of course!
And this Grilled Veggie Sandwich with Vegan Basil Aioli will not leave you disappointed.
First, let's talk about the bread. With a loaded sandwich like this, you need a hardcore, crusty, thick bread. Something that will keep it's shape with all that good stuff going on between the slices. I decided to go with one of my favorites...ciabatta.
Ciabatta can hold it's own without turning into a hard brick of crust. I mean, functionality is important, but we still want it to be chewy and delicious.
Once you have the bread toasted up, it's time to smother those slices in this creamy spread.
This aioli is almost a pesto, but this time around we're leaving out the nuts and keeping it nice and smooth.
When it comes to the veggies, use whatever you've got on hand.
I like to make sure I have some zucchini or yellow squash in there, and then just fill in with anything else from bell peppers to jalapeños.
Anything that can hold it's shape on the grill is what you want you want to use.
Now that you have your sandwiches assembled, you can put them on the grill or over the stovetop and heat them until warmed through.
And now's the time to dig in!
Grilled Veggie Sandwich with Vegan Basil Aioli
FOR THE VEGGIES
FOR THE BASIL AIOLI
FOR THE SANDWICHES
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 1 large tomato sliced in rounds
- Prepare veggies according to instructions here. Set aside and cover with foil if not using right away.
- While veggies are cooking prepare basil aioli. Combine basil, mayo, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice to a food processor. Blend until combined and add salt to taste. Set aside until ready to use.
- Cut rolls in half. Using a grill or a pan over the stovetop, place rolls facedown and cook over medium heat until toasted. Remove from the pan and spread aioli on top and bottom of each roll. Layer grilled veggies and tomato slices on bottom of each roll. Top sandwiches off with other half of the rolls and place on the grill or in the pan again to heat sandwiches through (approx. 2-3 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and enjoy!