This Vegan BBQ Chicken Folded Wrap is inspired by the tiktok trend! A toasty wrap with avocado, pickled onions, a creamy sauce & vegan chicken. All in a compact tortilla you can take on the go!
Well, I'm just going to start this off by saying TikTok made me do it 😂 I might be too old for TikTok, but I can always get behind a fun, trendy recipe. And this wrap is a revelation. Everything folds up into the perfect triangle which makes it easy to fry up and take on the go.
What's in this Vegan BBQ Chicken Folded Wrap?
So the basis of this whole trend is separating the tortilla into 4 segments. Each segment has its own ingredient and when folded up, makes one tasty wrap.
For my version of the wrap I picked some of my favorite wrap ingredients - vegan bbq chicken, avocado, pickled onions & cilantro sauce.
The vegan bbq chicken is just chopped vegan chicken, chives, green onion and store-bought bbq sauce. Throw it all in a bowl and give it a good toss.
For the cilantro sauce, we are switching things up AND keeping it light. Instead of vegan mayo, I used unsweetened vegan yogurt as the base. I also swapped out fresh jalapeño for pickled jalapeños. A little less spice and a little more tang. This sauce would be good on so many things - tacos, salads, bowls...anything!
How to fold this Vegan BBQ Chicken Folded Wrap
So the whole "thing" about this wrap is the folding technique. But let me tell you that it is beyond easy. Just grab a knife and cut a slit in the tortilla from the center down to the bottom. Now you have 4 easily visible quadrants.
Take your ingredients and add one to each quadrant - being sure not to overfill. Starting in the bottom left corner, fold up and work your way around clockwise. Now, you're going to be left with a perfectly folded wrap and can give it a quick fry.
How to serve this Vegan BBQ Chicken Folded Wrap
Heat some oil in a pan and fry the wraps until they are browned on each side. I'm sorry but there are no baking instructions for this. You need that crispy crust that you can only get with a pan fry. Now, you don't need a lot of oil, but it is the best way to cook these up.
When the wraps are crispy, cut them in half and serve them with a side of that cilantro sauce. Get to dipping!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Vegan BBQ Chicken Folded Wrap
FOR THE CILANTRO SAUCE
- ½ cup vegan yogurt unsweetened, can be swapped for vegan mayo
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño brine
- ½ lime juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup cilantro packed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
FOR THE WRAPS
- 6 oz vegan chicken diced
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 green onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon chives chopped
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime juiced
- salt to taste
- pickled onions*
- 4 large flour tortillas
- oil for frying
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- Add the vegan chicken, bbq sauce, green onion and chives to a bowl. Toss to combine.
- Add the avocado, lime juice and a pinch of salt to a small bowl and mash with a fork.
- Lay the tortillas on a flat surface and use a knife to cut a slit from the center of the tortilla to the bottom.
- Starting in the bottom left corner and working clockwise, add a layer of avocado, vegan chicken, pickled onions & cilantro sauce**. Following the same path, fold the bottom left corner up then around until you have all sides folded in. Repeat with remaining wraps.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place a wrap in the skillet and cook, flipping, until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan, cut in half and serve with additional cilantro sauce on the side.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!
Could you sub chickpeas or another bean if you didn’t want to use the vegan chicken? Curious on your recommendation.
Definitely! There are lots of options! I love the idea of chickpeas, roasted cauliflower, crispy potatoes, black beans.
This looks delicious! I was curious to know which brand of vegan chicken do you prefer?
I used Lightlife 🤗
Thank you for your quick reply. I made these today for lunch and they were a huge hit. Thanks again!