This Simple Vegan Tortilla Soup is veggie packed and loaded with flavor. Ready in 30 minutes and perfect for meal prepping!
It is officially soup season and this Simple Vegan Tortilla Soup is hearty, veggie-packed and super tasty. And the best part is all of the fun toppings you can add to make this soup your own. Any excuse to eat chips, right?
How to make Simple Vegan Tortilla Soup
This soup is super easy to make. Start by chopping some veggies. Next, add them to a LARGE pot and let them cook down with some seasonings. Once the veggies are tender it is time to add the green chiles, enchilada sauce, chipotle pepper and fire roasted tomatoes. Let this cook for a couple more minutes.
Add in the black beans and the broth. Let this come to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for a few more minutes. Right before eating, add in some lime juice and cilantro. Give it one final stir and a quick taste, then get to eating.
How to serve Simple Vegan Tortilla Soup
Once the soup is ready, grab your favorite toppings. I went for tortilla chips, pickled onions, green onions, lime wedges, serrano peppers and avocado. You have so many options when it comes to toppings. And I say the more the merrier.
This soup can be stored in individual containers in the fridge or frozen. It is the perfect meal to make on Sunday and eat throughout the week.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Simple Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 serrano pepper diced, can sub with jalapeño
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 4-ounce can green chiles
- ¼ cup green enchilada sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce from a can, chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 15-ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups broth*
- 1 lime juiced
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- tortilla chips, green onion, lime wedges, cilantro, avocado, serrano peppers, pickled onions** for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, serrano, salt, pepper, oregano, smoked paprika & cumin. Stir to combine and cook down for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the green chiles, enchilada sauce, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce and fire roasted tomatoes. Stir and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the beans and broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Right before serving add the lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve the soup hot with lots of toppings.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!
What is the serving size for this recipe? I love it so much!
There are 8 servings in this recipe, so it is close to 1 cup.
Soup turned out really well! I added frozen corn to give it a little more body. I did use a jalapeño and left out the bell pepper since daughter doesn’t like peppers. We enjoyed it with avocado, scallions, and tortilla chips! Too bad we didn’t have any vegan sour cream! The soup was very flavorful!
Corn is the perfect add! So glad you liked it!
I didn't have all the ingredients but I put together the things I did have and it was still amazing 🙂
Love the topping ideas.
Yay! So glad you were able to make it work with what you had on hand!