This Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Basil Chickpeas is the most comforting and delicious vegan meal. The chickpeas add the best crunch to this creamy soup.
Has any veggie had a better glow up in the past few years than cauliflower? It is literally EVERYWHERE! And I am here for it. I have been obsessed with cauliflower for a hot minute. You may remember some of the other cauliflower recipes here on TSV:
- Creamy Vegan Rigatoni with Roasted Cauliflower
- Vegan Cauliflower Alfredo Pasta with Broccolini
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Orzo Mac and Cheese
- Cauliflower Taco Bowls with Creamy Vegan Cilantro Ranch
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos
So to say I think cauliflower is a star ingredient is an understatement. It is so versatile and and super tasty.
Today we are going to turn this veggie into a totally delicious and creamy soup. Perfect for those cold nights when you want something comforting that is also full of veggies.
So, let’s talk about how to make this Roasted Cauliflower Soup
First you are going to roast some cauliflower, onion and garlic with olive oil, salt & pepper for 25 minutes. You want to get everything nice and tender so that it will blend super easily.
If you follow me on Instagram then you know I recently made a VERY exciting purchase and finally got a VitaMix blender – something I have been eyeing for YEARS. And while you don’t need THAT fancy of a blender, you will need a high powered blender to get this soup perfectly creamy.
Once you add your veggies to the blender, you will want to cover everything with broth. I used my favorite vegan chicken broth, but feel free to use your favorite veggie broth. Now, blend away until it is smooth and creamy.
Before transferring your soup to the stove, we are going to make a quick roux with vegan butter and flour. This will help your soup thicken slightly and add another layer of flavor. Once your roux is smooth and bubbly add your blended soup to the pot and heat it through.
Allow your soup to cook for an additional 15 minutes and then it is ready to serve.
I served mine topped with roasted basil chickpeas and some garlic toast (recipes are included below). These additions are not required but HIGHLY recommended! Their crunch is the perfect compliment to this creamy soup.
Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Basil Chickpeas
FOR THE SOUP
- 1 head cauliflower (about 3 cups), cut in florets
- 1 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 cups broth*
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- fresh basil for serving, optional
FOR THE BASIL CHICKPEAS
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt & pepper to taste
FOR THE GARLIC TOAST
- 1 small baguette*** sliced in 2 inch pieces
- vegan butter
- garlic powder
- garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the cauliflower, onion and garlic to the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and a healthy pinch of salt & pepper. Toss to coat evenly and place in the oven for 25 minutes, flipping halfway. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes
- While the cauliflower is cooking line another baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the chickpeas, olive oil, garlic powder, basil and a pinch of salt & pepper to the baking sheet. Toss to coat evenly and place in the oven with the cauliflower. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Transfer the cauliflower, onion and garlic to a blender and add the broth. Blend until smooth and set aside.***
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Add the blended soup and the lemon juice to the pot and stir to combine. Continue to cook until slightly thickened, lowering the heat if it starts to splatter. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- When you are ready to serve make the garlic toast. Spread some vegan butter on each slice of bread and top with garlic powder and a tiny bit of garlic salt. Turn the oven to broil and cook the toasts on a baking sheet until browned (approx. 3 minutes).
- Add the soup to each bowl and top with garlic toast, chickpeas, additional pepper and fresh basil.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!