Salsa Verde Bean & Rice Soup
This Salsa Verde Bean & Rice Soup is comforting, filling and healthy. Filled with veggies & pinto beans and served with steamed rice!
This Salsa Verde Bean & Rice Soup is a must make for the colder months! It is hearty – filled with veggies, crumbled tofu & pinto beans. It is easy – ready in 30 minutes! And it is delicious – the combo of flavors is simple, but sooooo tasty! And, of course, there are so many topping options to make this soup your own.
Here is what you need to make this delicious vegan soup:
- Oil – I like to use avocado oil, but olive oil works too.
- Yellow onion – you could also sub red onion.
- Bell pepper
- Jalapeño – if you like a little kick, otherwise, this can be omitted.
- Taco seasoning – my favorite taco seasoning is from Trader Joe’s
- Tofu – I prefer firm, but you can sub extra firm.
- Tomato paste
- Salsa Verde – you can make my homemade recipe or buy it from the store.
- Broth – low sodium broth is ideal since the taco seasoning is already salted.
- Beans – I like using pinto, but black beans would work too!
- Lime juice – add to taste, but I used 1 whole lime.
How to Make the Soup
Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeño & taco seasoning. Give everything a good stir and let it cook down for a couple of minutes.
Add in the pressed tofu and use a wooden spoon to break it apart. You can leave the tofu pieces as big or small as you’d like – I prefer smaller chunks.
Pour in the tomato paste, salsa verde, broth & beans. Bring everything to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. You can always let this simmer longer, but if you are in a pinch for time, it will still taste great after just 10 minutes.
Right before serving add in some chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Give the soup a taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
How to Serve
Now for the best part…the toppings! Here are some of my favorites for this soup:
- Corn chips – tortilla chips would be good too!
- Pickled onions – my recipe for these is super quick & delicious.
- Non-dairy yogurt – my favorite brand to use is Kite Hill.
- Green onion
- Radishes – for some crunch!
- Lime wedges – if you want some more acid.
To serve, add some hot rice to each bowl and top it with the soup. I prefer to cook the rice separately so that it doesn’t absorb all of the broth! Add any toppings you’d like – or do like I did, and add ALL of them!
If you have any leftovers, let the soup cool completely before transferring it to individual containers. This will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days. Perfect for weekday lunches!
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made this Salsa Verde Bean & Rice Soup I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Salsa Verde Bean & Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 jalapeño diced, optional
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 block firm tofu drained & pressed
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 12 ounces salsa verde homemade or store bought
- 3 cups low sodium broth
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans drained & rinsed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 lime juiced, plus more for serving
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- pickled onions optional, for serving
- green onion, corn chips, non-dairy yogurt, radishes optional, for serving
- Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeño and taco seasoning. Cook down for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the tofu and crumble with a wooden spoon. Pour in the tomato paste, salsa verde, broth and pinto beans. Bring to a boil, lower the heat & simmer for 10-15 minutes – stirring every couple minutes.
- Before serving add cilantro & lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- To serve, add rice to each bowl and ladle the soup over. Serve with any of the optional toppings.