These Lemon Pepper Tofu Nuggets with Green Tahini Sauce are the perfect snack or addition to a salad or bowl. Breaded and baked until crispy.
I have been on a bit of a tofu kick lately. If you missed my Spicy Popcorn Tofu Nugget recipe, then you need to check that one out too - they are breaded in potato chip crumbs!!! Today's tofu nuggets are marinated in an almond milk/lemon pepper combo before being breaded and baked. They can be served with all kinds of sauces, but I've included a recipe for a green tahini sauce that is AMAZING!
How to make the lemon pepper tofu nuggets
Start out by drying off a block of extra firm tofu - it needs to be extra firm so it holds it shape. I find that I don't need to press extra firm tofu, since there really isn't much liquid. But if you feel like your block has excess liquid, feel free to press it.
Combine non-dairy milk and lemon pepper seasoning in a large bowl. Add the tofu pieces (you can make them as small or big as you want) and marinate for at least 20 minutes.
Combine bread crumbs and more lemon pepper seasoning in another bowl. One by one, coat the tofu pieces in the bread crumbs and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Spray with olive oil, place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes - flipping halfway.
How to make green tahini sauce
While the tofu is baking, make the green tahini sauce. Combine tahini, garlic, basil, cilantro, parsley, lemon juice, agave, olive oil, salt and water in a food processor. Pulse until combined. Scrape down the sides and add more water and/or oil until it reaches the desired consistency.
Tahini has a naturally bitter taste, so play around with it until it tastes right to you. You can also sub vegan ranch, ketchup and/or mustard. The more dipping sauces the better.
How to serve Lemon Pepper Tofu Nuggets with Green Tahini Sauce
Take the tofu nuggets out of the oven and plate them with any and all of the dipping sauces your heart desires. I also like to top mine with some fresh parsley for a pop of freshness.
You can reheat the leftovers in the oven or air fryer. I also really love these on a salad or in a grain bowl!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Lemon Pepper Tofu Nuggets with Green Tahini Sauce
FOR THE TOFU NUGGETS
- 1 block extra firm tofu drained and dried off
- 1 ½ cups non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper separated
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- olive oil spray
- parsley for serving
- Drain the tofu and dry off.* Combine the non-dairy milk and 1 tablespoon of lemon pepper in a large bowl. Break apart the tofu into 1-inch pieces and add them to the bowl. Press the tofu down to submerge and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the bread crumbs and remaining lemon pepper to another bowl and stir to combine. Dip each piece of tofu in the bread crumbs and place on the baking sheet. Spray with olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Meanwhile combine all of the green tahini ingredients in a food processor. Scrape down the sides and adjust the water and/or olive oil until it reaches your desired consistency. If it tastes too bitter, add more lemon juice. Set aside.
- To serve, top the tofu nuggets with chopped parsley and serve with the green tahini sauce and any of your other favorite dipping sauces.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!