Sweet Potato Curry Noodle Soup
This Sweet Potato Curry Noodle Soup is filled with tender sweet potato chunks, a savory broth and rice noodles. Topped with fresh greens.
I have been making a version of this soup at least once a week. So I figured an official recipe was long overdue. The broth is savory and comforting. The sweet potatoes are boiled until tender and the whole thing is served up with vermicelli rice noodles. A super delicious vegan dinner that makes great leftovers!
How to make the broth
Start out by heating some oil in a stock pot. Cook down the garlic, green onion, shallot, ginger powder and red curry paste for a couple of minutes. Add in the broth, coconut milk, peanut butter and soy sauce. Carefully drop in the cubed sweet potato and bring it all to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender – approx. 20 minutes.
For the noodles
Like I mentioned, I used vermicelli rice noodles for this recipe. They are my favorite noodles to use in soup. I prefer to cook mine separately – this will ensure they don’t absorb the broth and they won’t be overcooked for reheating leftovers.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the noodles. They take about 8-10 minutes to cook. Drain them and add them to each bowl as you serve it.
How to serve Sweet Potato Curry Noodle Soup
Right before serving add some lime juice and fresh cilantro to the broth. Ladle some broth & potatoes into each bowl. Add some noodles and top it off with green onion.
When it comes to variations, you can easily change up this soup depending on what you have on hand. Here are some of my favorite things to add:
- greens – spinach or kale
- frozen gyoza
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Sweet Potato Curry Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 5 green onions diced, greens and whites separated
- 2 shallots diced
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- red pepper flakes to taste, optional
- 3 cups broth
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 7 ounces vermicelli rice noodles dry
- Heat the sesame oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger powder, whites of the green onion, shallots, red curry paste and red pepper flakes. Mix to combine and cook for 3 minutes, or until shallots begin to soften.
- Add the broth, coconut milk, soy sauce, peanut butter and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender (approx. 20 minutes). Right before serving, add the lime juice and cilantro.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- To assemble, add noodles to each bowl and top with broth & potatoes. Serve with the remaining green onions.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!