These Sweet & Spicy Tofu Bowls are made with a tangy mustard sauce, crispy tofu, bell peppers and rice. A quick vegan dinner!
Tofu has been one of my go-to meals these days. There are so many ways to prepare it and sauces to serve it with. And this spicy mustard sauce we are making today is one of my favorites. It is tangy, sweet and spicy all at once.
How to make the tofu
30 minutes before cooking, press your tofu. I grabbed a couple plates and sandwiched the tofu in between them to drain the extra liquid. While the tofu is pressing, prepare the rice, veggies and sauce. After the tofu is pressed, cut it into squares, being careful not to let it crumble too much.
Combine all of the marinade ingredients together, toss the tofu in it and heat some oil in a pan. Add the tofu to the hot pan and cook until all sides are browned. Set aside and put the pan back on the stove.
How to make Sweet & Spicy Tofu Bowls
Once the tofu is done, everything will come together quickly. Add some garlic, green onion and ginger powder to the pan and cook for about 1 minute. Add the bell pepper and 1/2 of the sauce. Give everything a good toss and cook for a few minutes.
To finish it off, add the tofu back to the pan with the rest of the sauce. Cook until the tofu is heated through and the sauce has thickened.
How to serve Sweet & Spicy Tofu Bowls
Now, you are ready to eat. Serve the tofu & veggies with some hot rice and top everything off with sesame seeds and the remaining green onions.
This is a great meal prep recipe! Make everything ahead of time and separate into individual containers for quick, easy lunches throughout the week!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Sweet & Spicy Tofu Bowls
FOR THE TOFU
- 1 block firm tofu pressed
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- oil for frying*
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp spicy mustard
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
FOR THE BOWLS
- 3 green onions diced, greens and whites separated
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 red bell pepper cut in 1" chunks
- black sesame seeds
- 2 cups cooked rice for serving
- Press the tofu for 10-30 minutes. Meanwhile prep the veggies and combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the soy sauce, cornstarch and sesame oil in a shallow bowl. Whisk to combine. Cut the tofu into squares and place in the marinade. Gently toss to coat.
- Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the tofu and cook, flipping, until all sides are browned. Remove the tofu and place the pan back on the stove – if the pan is dry add a little more oil.
- Cook the garlic, ginger and whites of the green onions in the pan for 60 seconds. Add the bell pepper and 1/2 of the sauce and cook for 3 minutes. Add the tofu back to the pan with the remaining sauce and cook for 1-2 more minutes, or until the tofu is warm and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve the tofu with rice, sesame seeds and the remaining green onions.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!