Greek Tempeh Skewer Bowls
These Greek Tempeh Skewer Bowls are the perfect summer meal! Marinated tempeh is grilled until crispy & served with vegan feta dressing and herbed rice!
This post contains affiliate links.
This recipe has everything I love! Grilled tempeh & veggies – there’s just something extra tasty about those crispy grilled bits. The dressing is taken to another level by adding vegan feta. And the rice is made extra delicious with the addition of lemon juice and fresh herbs. It is filling, but light, and bursting with fresh flavors.
How to Make the Tempeh Skewers
I love grilling tempeh. And putting it on skewers makes it that much easier. You do want to let the tempeh marinate for at least 30 minutes. If you can let it sit overnight, that would be even better.
Cut the tempeh into squares and add them to a bowl with olive oil, smoked paprika, garlic powder, oregano, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Make sure everything is coated evenly and place in the fridge.
While the tempeh is marinating, be sure to soak the skewers (if you are using wooden skewers). I just fill a tall cup with water and plop them in.
When you are ready to start grilling, layer tempeh, bell pepper, red onion and zucchini on each skewer. Brush any leftover marinade onto the veggies and place on a hot grill. It should take about 5 minutes per side to get a nice char going.
How to Make Vegan Greek Dressing
This greek dressing is amazing. And mostly because of the vegan feta! Most of you know I don’t love vegan cheese. But I have to say that the vegan feta from Trader Joe’s is out of this world. If you can’t get your hands on it, you can try another brand or omit it. But if you can get some, I highly recommend.
Combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, salt & pepper in a bowl. Crumble in some vegan feta and gently break it apart with a fork. Place this in the fridge until ready to serve.
Finish it Up
I did make the rice for these bowls a little special – not mandatory, but definitely recommended. Just cook rice like you normally would, then add fresh parsley, dill, salt and lemon juice. Those simple adds make this rice extra delicious.
To serve, plate up some rice with chopped romaine and layer the skewers on top. Drizzle with the dressing and add extra vegan feta if you’re using it. Top with fresh dill for a little pop of green and eat up! You can also add a couple slices of toasted bread on the side – I drizzled some of the dressing over the bread and OMG! Delicious!
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check These Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made these Greek Tempeh Skewer Bowls I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Greek Tempeh Skewer Bowls
FOR THE DRESSING
FOR THE RICE
- romaine chopped
- fresh dill and basil chopped
- vegan feta crumbled
- toasted bread
- lemon wedges
- Add the olive oil, smoked paprika, oregano, garlic powder, pepper, salt and lemon zest to a bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the cubed tempeh and toss to coat evenly. Place in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes. If using wooden skewers, place them in a cup of water to soak.
- While the tempeh is marinating, combine the dressing ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- To make the rice, add the rice and 2 cups of water to a pot. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Add the lemon juice, herbs & salt to the rice and fluff with a fork.
- Heat an indoor or outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Layer tempeh, bell pepper, onion and zucchini on each skewer. Brush any leftover marinade over the skewers. Place on the grill and cook until charred on both sides (about 5 minutes per side). Remove from the grill.
- To assemble, layer rice and romaine in each bowl. Top with skewers and drizzle with dressing, more feta, dill and basil. Serve with lemon wedges and toasted bread.