If summer were a dish it would be this Greek Tempeh Orzo Skillet! Fresh tomatoes, basil, orzo, tempeh - cooked in one skillet and totally tasty!
Ready for summer flavors in one skillet?!? This is it! AND it is a one pot meal that you can make in under an hour. That is my type of dinner! The crispy tempeh, creamy orzo and fresh tomatoes are the perfect combo. I could eat this all summer long.
How to make the tempeh
Start out by combining the tempeh with the olive oil and spices. I like to break the tempeh apart with my hands. You can also slice it into uniform pieces if that's more your thing. Add it to a hot skillet and get it nice and crispy.
Add some garlic and balsamic vinegar and cook for another minute or so. Remove it from the pan and get to the orzo.
How to make the orzo
Add the bell pepper and sun-dried tomatoes to the hot skillet and let them get tender. Next, add the dry orzo, broth and a pinch of pepper to the pan. Bring it to a boil then lower the heat and let it simmer.
Just give it a stir every few minutes to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.
Bring it together
While the orzo is cooking, add all of the tomato ingredients to a bowl and toss to combine. Once the orzo is cooked through, add the tempeh back to the skillet and toss until heated through.
When it comes to the tomatoes you have some options. You can either add to the skillet and heat through OR you can just serve them on top and keep them at room temperature. I've tried both ways and they are equally delicious!
Right before serving, add a drizzle of balsamic glaze and dig in!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Greek Tempeh Orzo Skillet
FOR THE TEMPEH
- 16 oz tempeh broken in bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt & pepper
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
FOR THE ORZO
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups orzo dried
- 2.5 cups broth
- balsamic glaze for serving
FOR THE TOMATOES
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 1 handful basil chopped
- salt & pepper
- Combine the tempeh, olive oil, oregano, smoked paprika, onion powder and a pinch of salt & pepper in a bowl. Toss to coat evenly. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the tempeh. Cook until browned on both sides (approx. 5 minutes). Add the garlic and balsamic and cook for 1 more minute. Transfer the tempeh to a plate.
- Add the bell pepper and sun-dried tomatoes to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, or until tender. Add the orzo, broth and a pinch of pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed (approx. 10 minutes) - stir every couple minutes so nothing sticks.
- Meanwhile, combine the tomato ingredients in a bowl. Toss to combine.
- Add the tempeh back to the skillet with the orzo and toss until heated through. Taste and add salt if needed. Top the orzo with the tomatoes, drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve.*
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!