This Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta is a simple dinner recipe that has the perfect kick. A tomato base, vegan Italian sausage, fresh kale and rigatoni!
This post contains affiliate links.
Pasta night is always a good night. And I am in LOVE with this new Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta recipe! You've got all the best players - garlic, basil, spicy vegan sausage, vegan cream! It's a decadent sauce, with tons of flavor, but super simple to make!
How to brown vegan sausage
This sauce is simple - which is why it has such an amazing flavor. No need to do too much. Simple is key!
Start out by browning vegan sausage in olive oil. I used Beyond Meat Spicy Italian Sausage. Cut it in rounds and add it to a stock pot. The best way to brown most vegan sausage is to let it sit undisturbed for a few minutes. Then give it a flip and brown the other side. If you mess with it too much, it will take longer to brown.
Once browned on both sides, remove from the pot.
How to make the sauce
There will plenty of oil left in the pot. So, add the garlic, shallot and seasonings and cook down for a couple of minutes. It should be smelling really good at this point.
Add in the tomato paste, some pre-made marinara and a splash of pasta water. Let this simmer for about 10 minutes.
Stir in the vegan cream and kale and let it cook down for a final couple minutes. Add the pasta and more pasta water and stir until you like the consistency.
How to serve Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta
And now it is time to dig in. Let me tell you, you should be excited! Serve the pasta hot and be sure to add plenty of fresh basil! You could also add parsley, extra red pepper flakes or vegan parmesan.
Eat one bowl, or maybe eat two. The leftovers are also amazing! If you have any to eat the next day, just reheat in the microwave or over the stove.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Did you make this recipe?
If you made this Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta
- ¾ pound rigatoni dry
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound vegan Italian sausage I used Beyond Meat
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 2 shallots finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup non-dairy cream unsweetened, I used Ripple
- 2 cups chopped greens I used kale
- fresh basil for serving
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water, then drain the pasta.
- Place the empty pot back on the stove and heat the olive oil. Add the vegan sausage and brown on both sides (approx. 3-5 minutes per side). Use a slotted spoon to remove the sausage from the pan.
- Add the garlic, shallots, and seasonings to the pot and cook down for about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add the marinara sauce and a splash of pasta water. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the vegan cream and the greens. Toss to combine and cook until the greens are wilted. Add the cooked pasta and toss to combine. Pour in more pasta water until your desired consistency is reached. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Serve the pasta hot, topped with fresh basil.