These Grilled Eggplant Skewer Bowls are filled with mediterranean cauliflower rice, roasted beet hummus and a basil aioli - seriously tasty!
This post includes affiliate links. If you make a purchase I get a small commission.
This is the ultimate veggie bowl! Roasted Beet Hummus is layered with cauliflower rice and eggplant skewers. Every component is seasoned, and there is plenty of sauce to make these bowls extra tasty - I can't get enough of the basil aioli! Whether you have an indoor or outdoor grill, these are a must try!
How to make Grilled Eggplant Skewers
To a bowl add olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, lemon pepper and salt. Give it a mix and add diced eggplant. Toss until everything is coated and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
While the eggplant is marinating, you want to make sure to soak the skewers in water (only if you're using wood skewers). This will keep them for burning on the grill. You could also use metal skewers and skip this step.
Preheat a grill to 400 degrees. Thread the marinated eggplant and chunks of red onion onto the soaked skewers. Once all of the skewers are done, place them on the grill and cook until all sides are charred and the eggplant is cooked through - approx. 15 minutes.
Be sure to keep an eye on the temperature and adjust as needed.
How to make the Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice
Yes, we are bulking up this bowl with extra veggies by adding cauliflower rice! Start out by adding some oil from a sun-dried tomato jar to a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and cauliflower rice - I used frozen cauliflower rice to keep things simple.
Let this cook down until the cauliflower is completely cooked through. Right before serving, add fresh herbs, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Give it one last taste and stir.
Bring it together
The main components of these bowls are the skewers and the cauliflower rice. But let's be honest, this wouldn't be a TSV recipe without some good sauce. For this recipe, I used my Roasted Beet Hummus and my favorite basil aioli!
I would make the hummus ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until ready to serve. You could also buy pre-made hummus to cut down on prep time.
The basil aioli takes just a few minutes. Add the ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, adding water if needed.
To serve, spread hummus on the bottom of each bowl. Top it with cauliflower rice and eggplant skewers. Drizzle with the basil aioli and add some fresh parsley. You can also serve this with some toasted baguette slices on the side.
I'm telling you, the layers of flavor and textures going on in these bowls is unreal!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Grilled Eggplant Skewer Bowls
FOR THE EGGPLANT SKEWERS
FOR THE CAULIFLOWER RICE
- 1 tablespoon oil from sun-dried tomato jar
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- 10 ounces cauliflower rice I used frozen
- ¼ cup fresh herbs diced - I used parsley & basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ lemon juiced
FOR THE BASIL AIOLI
FOR THE BOWLS
- Roasted Beet Hummus** or hummus of choice
- fresh parsley for serving
FOR THE EGGPLANT SKEWERS
- Combine the olive oil, garlic powder, lemon pepper, oregano, salt and smoked paprika in a bowl. Add the eggplant chunks and toss to coat evenly. Place in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes. If you are using wood skewers, soak them in water while the eggplant is marinating.
- Preheat a grill to 400 degrees. Thread the marinated eggplant and onion pieces on the soaked skewers. Place on the grill and cook until charred on all sides and cooked through - approx. 15 minutes***
FOR THE BOWLS
- Prepare the Roasted Beet Hummus, if using.
- Prepare the basil aioli by combining all of the ingredients (except the water) in a food processor or blender. Blend, scraping down the sides as needed. Add water until the desired consistency is reached and everything is combined. Transfer to a bowl and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- To make the cauliflower rice, heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and cauliflower rice. Cook until the cauliflower is cooked through and tender. Right before serving, add the fresh herbs, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- To serve, spread hummus on the bottom of each bowl. Top with cauliflower rice, skewers, basil aioli and fresh parsley.