This Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Orzo Mac and Cheese is creamy, dreamy comfort food. The perfect amount of spice to kick up this classic recipe.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS
This Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Orzo Mac and Cheese is making dreams come true one spoonful at a time. It is everything you could want in a cheezy pasta dish.
It is creamy...it is a tad spicy...and there's cauliflower thrown in for some extra texture (and to sneak in some veggies).
We all know my love for Buffalo Cauliflower is a little over the top. Here on TSV I've shared recipes for Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos, Buffalo Cauliflower Quesadillas, Baked Buffalo Cauliflower, Buffalo Cauliflower Pizza.
Ya, you could say I'm obsessed. But you know what I love about all of you??? You are also Buffalo Cauliflower obsessed. You all make me feel more secure with my obsession. 🙂
So, thank you for allowing me to live out my Buffalo Cauliflower dreams once again with this new recipe.
Now, if you've ever made my White Mac & Cheese recipe, then most of the ingredients for this mac are going to to look very familiar.
I have never been a big fan of vegan mac and cheese recipes that use a ton of nutritional yeast, potatoes and carrots to make the sauce. INSTEAD, I like to use a combo of vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, non-dairy milk and lots of spices. I just think it gives this a more realistic mac and cheese flavor. It may not be as healthy, but it sure tastes good.
TSV TIP: Here are my recommendations for specific brands to use in this recipe. I prefer Earth Balance Vegan Butter, Trader Joe's or Kite Hill Vegan Cream Cheese, unsweetened soy milk, Frank's Buffalo Sauce and Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base.
While this can be a spicy dish, it can also be super mild. Add buffalo sauce a little at a time until you get your desired spice level.
You also may notice that there is no salt listed in the ingredients. That is because you are getting plenty of salt from the buffalo sauce and bouillon. Be sure not to add salt unless you absolutely need it. We don't want over salted mac and cheese on our hands.
As with traditional mac and cheese, leftovers can become a little dry. Just add a little bit of non-dairy milk when reheating to bring the sauce back to life.
I hope (and am pretty sure) that you will all be as obsessed with this recipe as I am. Let the Buffalo Cauliflower obsession continue!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Orzo Mac and Cheese
FOR THE CAULIFLOWER
FOR THE MAC & CHEESE
- 16 oz orzo uncooked
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 cup non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base*
- buffalo sauce to taste
- cilantro optional, for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread cauliflower out on the baking sheet and top with olive oil, garlic powder, chili powder and buffalo sauce. Toss to combine and place in the oven for 15 minutes. When done, remove from the oven and transfer to a bowl (including all of the sauce on the baking sheet).
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add orzo. Cook according to package instructions. When done, drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add milk and cream cheese. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the garlic powder, mustard powder, white pepper, black pepper and bouillon. Whisk until combined.
- Add the cooked orzo and half of the the cauliflower to the sauce and stir to combine. Taste and add buffalo sauce to taste.
- Serve immediately with the remaining cauliflower and cilantro.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!