Load up on summer flavors with this Vegan Orzo Pasta Salad with Grilled Veggies. Perfect side for BBQs and pool parties!
I have to admit that I have dabbled in one or two deli salads in my lifetime. Gross to think about now, but they were pretty tasty back in the day.
Chances of finding a vegan salad at a traditional grocery store deli are slim to none, which gives us even more of a reason to make them ourselves. Not to mention, homemade always tastes better (and is probably better for you).
The stars of this salad are the grilled veggies - zucchini, tomatoes and artichoke hearts. They add a great texture, lots of flavor and plenty of healthy benefits. Make this salad for your next BBQ or beach get together. It is sure to be a hit.
Vegan Orzo Pasta Salad with Grilled Veggies
FOR THE GRILLED VEGGIES
FOR THE DRESSING
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 cup dried orzo cooked
- 6 oz grilled artichoke hearts in oil drained and chopped
- 3 cups arugula
- Combine zucchini, tomatoes, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to coat evenly. Heat an outdoor grill or indoor griddle to medium-high heat. Transfer tomatoes to a piece of foil before placing on the grill - place zucchini slices directly on grill. Cook until tomatoes begin to burst and zucchini has grill marks on both sides (approx. 8 minutes). Remove from the grill and set aside to cool.
- While the veggies are cooling, bring a pot of water to a boil and add orzo. Cook according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside until ready to use.
- To prepare the dressing, add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- To assemble, combine cooked veggies, orzo, artichoke hearts and arugula in a large bowl. Add dressing until desired consistency is reached and toss to combine.*