These Crispy Vegan Smashed Brussels Sprouts are boiled, smashed, then roasted until crispy and delicious. Made with shallots and vegan parmesan!
This is the perfect side dish! And one that is sure to change anyone's mind who THINKS they don't like brussels sprouts. Because these are salty, savory, tender, AND have tasty little crispy parts. Just overall delicious. The addition of the crispy shallots and vegan parmesan make these even better! A veggie side has never been tastier.
How to smash the brussels sprouts
To make the sprouts, add them to a big pot of boiling water. After 10 minutes, drain and rinse them under cold water. Let them cool down for a few minutes.
Grab a cup with a flat bottom. Take a sprout and place it on a cutting board. Firmly press down on the sprout with the cup...and there you go. Smashed sprouts.
Place them in a large bowl and add the shallots, olive oil & seasonings. Gently toss until everything is combined, then spread them out on a large baking sheet.
Finish off the sprouts
After 15 minutes in the oven, take them out and add the vegan parm - this is when things get really good. Toss the sprouts and place them back in the oven for 10 minutes.
When you take them out, the sprouts should be tender with some spots that are crispy & delicious. Be sure to scrape down those crispy bits on the baking sheet, because you're going to want to eat those.
And that's it! These are such a delicious way to eat your veggies - you will want to eat the whole platter!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Crispy Vegan Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil - add salt to the water once it boils. Add the brussels sprouts to the pot. Boil for 10 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water. Allow the sprouts to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a large baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Grab a cup with a flat bottom. Take 1 sprout and place it on a cutting board. Firmly press down on the sprout with the bottom of the cup. Place the sprouts in a bowl with the shallots, olive oil, smoked paprika, garlic salt & pepper. Carefully toss together. Transfer to the pre-heated baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add the vegan parm and flip the sprouts. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve - be sure to scrape the crispy bits off the bottom of the baking sheet!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!