The perfect fall dinner - this Vegan Sausage & Butternut Squash Rice Skillet has roasted squash, crispy vegan sausage, fresh herbs & kale.
I LOVE a skillet dinner and this one has a fall vibe, but can be made year round and is easily adaptable depending on what you have on hand. The roasted butternut squash and fresh herbs add cozy flavors, while the vegan sausage adds some crispy saltiness that makes this extra delicious. If you love an easy one-pot dinner then you need to try this!
Let's Talk Veggies
Obviously the main veggie we are working with is butternut squash. You can either buy a whole squash, peel it and cube it OR you can buy it pre-cut like I did. Much simpler, but both ways totally work. Be sure to cut the cubes extra small, then add them to a baking sheet and toss with a little oil, salt & pepper. Roast for 20 minutes - the pieces should be tender and have some char marks on the sides.
I also added lots of kale to this. I love kale in a skillet meal - it holds its texture and doesn't get too soggy. But you could sub any greens you have on hand. Spinach or arugula would be my second choice.
Bring it Together
While the squash is roasting, you can start with the rest of the skillet. Cook some onion & garlic down in olive oil before adding vegan sausage. I used Beyond Meat Italian Sausage and just crumbled it with a potato masher. Let it cook for a few minutes before turning - that will give you those nice crispy bits.
Add in the roasted squash, fresh herbs (I used thyme, basil & oregano) and kale. Toss until the kale is wilted then pour in 2 cups of leftover rice and some soy sauce. Once everything is combined and heated through it is time to eat!
This skillet is EXTREMELY easy. It only takes 30 minutes to get dinner on the table. Plus it makes the best leftovers for lunch the next day!
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made this Vegan Sausage & Butternut Squash Rice Skillet I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Vegan Sausage & Butternut Squash Rice Skillet
- 2 cups butternut squash cut in small cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil separated
- salt & pepper
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 8 ounces vegan sausage I used Beyond Meat Italian
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs* I used thyme, basil & oregano
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or sub tamari for GF
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the squash, 1 tablespoon oil, salt & pepper to the baking sheet and toss to coat. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
- When the squash is halfway done, heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Crumble the vegan sausage into the skillet and cook until crispy. Stir in the roasted squash, fresh herbs & kale and cook for a couple of minutes - just until the kale starts wilting.
- Add in the rice and soy sauce. Toss until heated through. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Serve immediately.