This Zesty Potato, Kale & Lentil Soup has the perfect smoky flavor and is loaded with protein, veggies & carbs. A complete vegan dinner made simple!
This soup is the perfect make ahead meal. Make a batch on Sunday and eat it throughout the week for quick lunches or dinners. It has a little bit of everything – chunky potatoes, wilted kale, smoky soyrizo and fiber-packed lentils. It really is the most complete meal!
How to make Zesty Potato, Kale & Lentil Soup
Start out by cooking down the onions, garlic and spices in a BIG pot over medium heat. The smoked paprika is the star of this soup and you are going to get punched in the face with flavor as soon as you add it in.
Let everything cook down for a few minutes then add in the soyrizo (you can get this at pretty much any grocery store) and a chipotle pepper. Let it cook down for a minute, then add in the potatoes, lentils and broth. Give everything one last stir then bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender.
To finish off the soup, add in some lime juice and kale. Let the kale wilt down for about 10 minutes and then you are ready to eat!
How to serve Zesty Potato, Kale & Lentil Soup
To serve this soup add all of your favorite toppings. I served mine with a bunch of green onions, jalapeño slices and lime wedges. You could also add some crusty bread or even some corn chips!
Leftovers are more than likely to happen. Keep them in the fridge for up to 5 days or let it cool completely and store the leftovers in the freezer!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Zesty Potato, Kale & Lentil Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 oz soyrizo
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo diced
- 1.5 cups cooked lentils
- 2 cups yellow potatoes cut in bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups broth*
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 cups kale torn into bite-sized pieces
- jalapeños, green onions, lime wedges for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, smoked paprika and a pinch of salt & pepper. Stir to combine and cook down for 3 minutes.
- Add the soyrizo and chipotle pepper and stir to combine. Add the lentils, potatoes, broth and water and give it one more stir. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the lime juice and kale and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve hot topped with green onions, jalapeños and lime wedges.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!