Butternut Squash Tomato Soup
This Butternut Squash Tomato Soup is creamy and delicious – made with roasted veggies and served with vegan parmesan crisps.
If you love a creamy tomato soup, then you are definitely going to want to give this one a try. The butternut squash adds a natural creaminess that makes this soup extra decadent. And, of course, we had to do a fun topping – the vegan parmesan crisps are freaking delicious and the perfect add to this soup!
How to Make the Soup
I think that slow roasting all of the veggies together gives this soup a really great depth of flavor. Just chop up some butternut squash, roma tomatoes, yellow onion, garlic & carrots. Toss everything with some olive oil, salt & pepper and roast for 1 hour. When the veggies come out of the oven they should have some charred edges and be super tender.
Melt vegan butter in a stock pot and cook down some fresh thyme and sage for a minute or two. Pour in the roasted veggies and 3 cups of broth. Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth – if you don’t have an immersion blender you can use a standing blender and just transfer the mixture to the stock pot.
Pour in some non-dairy milk and bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
How to Make Vegan Parmesan Crisps
I think by now you know that my favorite part of any soup is the toppings. So, I obviously couldn’t leave you hanging. These parmesan crisps are extremely easy to make and they add the perfect crunch & saltiness to this soup.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add 1 tablespoon heaps of vegan parmesan. Gently press them down so that they are in little circles – making sure that they don’t overlap.
Place them in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. I like mine extra crispy, so I went for the full 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple minutes.
How to Serve
Now, it is time to serve. Ladle the soup into your favorite bowls or mugs and serve with a parmesan crisp on top. You could also crumble the crisp over the soup, but we’re going for a cute aesthetic here.
This soup is absolutely delicious and the perfect make ahead lunch – it can be separated into individual containers and also frozen!
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made this Butternut Squash Tomato Soup I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Butternut Squash Tomato Soup
- 10 roma tomatoes quartered
- 2 cups butternut squash cubed
- 1 yellow onion cut in chunks
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage chopped
- 3 cups broth I used vegan chicken broth
- 1 cup non-dairy milk unsweetened
FOR THE PARMESAN CRISPS
- 8 tablespoons vegan parmesan I used Trader Joe's
- garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the veggies, oil and a healthy pinch of salt & pepper to the baking sheet. Toss to coat evenly, place in the oven and roast for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While the veggies are cooling, increase the oven heat to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour a heaping tablespoon of vegan parmesan onto the baking sheet and lightly pat down. Repeat with the remaining cheese, spacing the spoonfuls about a 1/2 inch apart. Sprinkle with garlic powder and place in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from the oven and allow to come to room temperature.
- Melt the vegan butter in a stock pot and add the fresh herbs. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add the roasted veggies & broth and use an immersion blender* to blend until smooth. Add the non-dairy milk, bring the soup to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with a parmesan crisp.