Butternut Squash Tomato Soup
This Butternut Squash Tomato Soup is creamy and delicious – made with roasted veggies and served with vegan parmesan crisps.
If you love a creamy tomato soup, then you are definitely going to want to give this one a try. The butternut squash adds a natural creaminess that makes this soup extra decadent. And, of course, we had to do a fun topping – the vegan parmesan crisps are freaking delicious and the perfect add to this soup!
How to Make the Soup
I think that slow roasting all of the veggies together gives this soup a really great depth of flavor. Just chop up some butternut squash, roma tomatoes, yellow onion, garlic & carrots. Toss everything with some olive oil, salt & pepper and roast for 1 hour. When the veggies come out of the oven they should have some charred edges and be super tender.
Melt vegan butter in a stock pot and cook down some fresh thyme and sage for a minute or two. Pour in the roasted veggies and 3 cups of broth. Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth – if you don’t have an immersion blender you can use a standing blender and just transfer the mixture to the stock pot.
Pour in some non-dairy milk and bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
How to Make Vegan Parmesan Crisps
I think by now you know that my favorite part of any soup is the toppings. So, I obviously couldn’t leave you hanging. These parmesan crisps are extremely easy to make and they add the perfect crunch & saltiness to this soup.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add 1 tablespoon heaps of vegan parmesan. Gently press them down so that they are in little circles – making sure that they don’t overlap.
Place them in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. I like mine extra crispy, so I went for the full 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple minutes.
How to Serve
Now, it is time to serve. Ladle the soup into your favorite bowls or mugs and serve with a parmesan crisp on top. You could also crumble the crisp over the soup, but we’re going for a cute aesthetic here.
This soup is absolutely delicious and the perfect make ahead lunch – it can be separated into individual containers and also frozen!
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made this Butternut Squash Tomato Soup I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Butternut Squash Tomato Soup
- 10 roma tomatoes quartered
- 2 cups butternut squash cubed
- 1 yellow onion cut in chunks
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage chopped
- 3 cups broth I used vegan chicken broth
- 1 cup non-dairy milk unsweetened
FOR THE PARMESAN CRISPS
- 8 tablespoons vegan parmesan I used Trader Joe's
- garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the veggies, oil and a healthy pinch of salt & pepper to the baking sheet. Toss to coat evenly, place in the oven and roast for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While the veggies are cooling, increase the oven heat to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour a heaping tablespoon of vegan parmesan onto the baking sheet and lightly pat down. Repeat with the remaining cheese, spacing the spoonfuls about a 1/2 inch apart. Sprinkle with garlic powder and place in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from the oven and allow to come to room temperature.
- Melt the vegan butter in a stock pot and add the fresh herbs. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add the roasted veggies & broth and use an immersion blender* to blend until smooth. Add the non-dairy milk, bring the soup to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with a parmesan crisp.
Perfection on a cold, rainy day. Great flavor and just an all around comforting, yummy soup! Didn’t make the parmesan crisps (hard to find the shredded vegan parm around here) but thought about doing something similar with shredded potatoes. Ran out of time to try it but the soup was awesome on its own. Thanks for a great recipe!
So glad you liked this Elle! This soup would also be great with homemade croutons!
So very Yummy!!!! Thank you!
So glad you enjoyed this Elley!
So delicious! Perfect fall soup. I added some vegan feta just to make a bit richer. Though it’s terrific either way.
Yum – love the idea of adding vegan feta!