This Vegan Enchilada Casserole with Jalapeño Cream Sauce is the perfect make ahead meal for busy weeknights or Sunday meal prep.
I am all about a one and done meal.
Cook once, eat all week.
And that is exactly what I do when I make this this Vegan Enchilada Casserole with Jalapeño Cream Sauce.
Make it on Sunday, have it for dinner and then eat it for lunch all week.
At least if you’re like me and in a household of two.
And if you’re feeding 6+ people this is the perfect make ahead meal.
Make it on Sunday, freeze it and reheat during the week when you are short on time.
In addition to being a total time saver, this casserole also does not skimp on flavor.
Veggies are sautéed in spices until slightly tender before being combined with my all time favorite flavor bomb – jalapeño cream sauce.
I’ve raved about this sauce many times and you can read all about it’s delicious-ness here.
Once your veggies are ready, all you need to do is layer them with beans and tortillas before baking until the top is crisp and the middle is warmed to perfection.
After it has cooled slightly, you can dish it up and dig in.
This is sure to be one of your weekly go-to’s!
Vegan Enchilada Casserole with Jalapeño Cream Sauce
- 1 recipe Jalapeño Cream Sauce separated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups green enchilada sauce separated
- 12 corn tortillas
- Optional toppings chopped cilantro, jalapeño slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare Jalapeño Cream Sauce according to instructions and set aside until ready to use.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, corn, jalapeño, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to the pan and lower heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until veggies have begun to brown and are slightly softened (approx. 5-7 minutes).
- Remove veggies from heat and add half of the jalapeño cream sauce to the pan and stir to combine.
- Add refried beans to a bowl with 2 tbsp. of water and stir to combine.*
- To assemble, spread 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Layer 4 tortillas on top of the enchilada sauce, followed by half of the refried beans, half of the black beans and half of the veggies. Repeat layers, beginning with 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce. To finish it off, layer the 4 remaining tortillas on top, followed by the final 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce. Place in the oven and cook for 25 minutes, uncovered.
- Increase oven heat to broil and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until top begins to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Top casserole with jalapeño slices, remaining jalapeño cream sauce and cilantro.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!