We’re less than a week away from the big game, which means it is time to start getting your drinks and snacks together. So, today I’m sharing the ultimate crowd pleaser – Vegan Corn Dog Bites.
Yes, you heard that right.
Veggies dogs are dipped in a delicious batter and deep fried until golden brown.
No, these aren’t the healthiest…but they sure are tasty.
Going to a Super Bowl party with meat eaters? Bring these and I swear they will never even know they’re meat and dairy free.
Even better, you can make these ahead of time, freeze them and then reheat in the oven the day of. Which means less time in the kitchen and more time watching the game (or the commercials if that’s all you’re into).
Vegan Corn Dog Bites
- vegetable oil
- 8 vegan hot dogs
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 3/4 cup + 1/4 cup flour separated
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper optional
- 1-1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Add 4 inches worth of oil to a pan and insert deep fry thermometer. Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- While oil is heating, prepare hot dogs and batter. Slice each hot dog into 4 equal pieces (for a total of 32 pieces) and set aside.
- Add corn meal, 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, sugar, garlic powder, salt and cayenne to a shallow bowl and stir to combine. Add 1 cup almond milk to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. If batter is too thick add additional milk 1/8 cup at a time - you want the batter to have a similar consistency to pancake batter.
- In a separate bowl add remaining 1/4 cup of flour.
- Working in batches of 5 or 6, roll hot dog pieces in the flour and then the corn meal mixture until coated*.
- When oil is heated, remove thermometer. Using a fork or spoon, carefully drop each battered corn dog bite in the oil. Fry until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon remove corn dogs from the oil and place on a stack of paper towels to drain excess oil. Repeat with remaining hot dogs.
- Serve with ketchup and mustard.**
**If making ahead of time, allow bites to cool completely, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and put in the freezer for 4 hours. Once frozen, place bites in an air-tight container in the freezer. To reheat, bake in the oven on a parchment lined baking sheet for 18 minutes (flipping halfway) in 420 degree oven.