Need some extra spice in your life? This Spicy Habanero Salsa is the perfect snack with lots of spice and flavor - Super Bowl party favorite!
We are less than 2 weeks away from the Super Bowl. You know that that means? Lots of yummy snacks are coming your way.
And we're kicking it off (see my pun skills ?) with this Spicy Habanero Salsa.
If you've never dabbled with habanero peppers, they are these little orange guys that pack a punch. The kind of heat that lingers on the tongue - but in a good way.
I love a spicy salsa and making it fresh at home is always a good idea.
I recommend starting with 1 habanero and then increasing the heat from there. Peppers can vary in spice - so you may get one that is a dud and another that is spicy as hell. So add carefully.
Oh, and did I mention, there are also jalapenos in this salsa? I like having both since I think they bring different qualities to the table. Jalapeno has spice, but also a nice flavor. Habanero doesn't have as much flavor, but really ups the spice level.
I swear, you will be addicted!
Spicy Habanero Salsa
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- ½ red onion roughly chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro roughly chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers roughly chopped
- 1-2 habanero peppers roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, 1 jalapeno, 1 habanero, cumin and garlic powder to a food processor. Pulse until ingredients are combined. Add salt and pepper. Taste salsa - if you want more heat add another jalapeno and habanero. Pulse again and taste to adjust salt.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips.