These Vegan Bean & Rice Plates are a super simple dinner recipe that comes together in just 30 minutes. Served with mixed greens and mini quesadillas.
This Bean & Rice Plate is one of my favorite weeknight dinners! It comes together quickly, makes the best leftovers and...any excuse to eat mini quesadillas, right? These plates have a little bit of everything and you will want to make them on the regular, trust me.
How to make Vegan Mexican Rice
Last week I shared my perfected recipe for Vegan Mexican Rice and these plates are the perfect way to try out that recipe. Or if you have rice leftovers in the fridge, you can quickly heat it up to serve with these plates.
The rice recipe is seriously simple and totally delicious. So, don't skip that part.
How to make mini vegan quesadillas
One of the best parts of this recipe (in my opinion) is the mini vegan quesadillas. They add a nice crunch to these plates, and they're just super yummy.
And if you're like me and don't love vegan cheese, then these are perfect for you. Instead of shreds, I used chive-flavored vegan cream cheese. Simply spread it onto mini flour tortillas (they are typically labelled "street style tortillas") and fold them in half. Heat up some oil in a pan and cook them until browned on both sides.
Seriously easy, and I'm telling you, a game changer.
How to serve Vegan Bean & Rice Plates
Once you have everything cooked, you are ready to load up your plates.
Add equal parts of rice, beans, mixed greens and mini quesadillas to each plate. Drizzle everything with a homemade cilantro vinaigrette and serve with hot sauce, cilantro and lime wedges.
If you are making these for meal prep, you can keep the hot and cold components separate and then build your plates when you are ready to eat.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Vegan Bean & Rice Plates
- Vegan Mexican Rice*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 4 cups mixed greens
- cilantro, lime wedges, hot sauce for serving
FOR THE MINI QUESADILLAS
- 8 mini flour tortillas
- 6 tablespoon vegan cream cheese I used chive flavor
- olive oil
- Prepare the Vegan Mexican Rice according to the instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the dressing. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse until combined. Taste and adjust salt, water & vinegar as needed. Set aside.
- Prepare the beans by heating the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the beans and taco seasoning and stir to combine. Lower heat and add ¼ cup of water to the pan. Continue to stir until ready to eat.
- Right before eating, prepare the mini quesadillas. Spread a thin layer of vegan cream cheese in each tortilla. Fold in half. Heat some olive oil (or non-stick spray) in a pan over medium heat. Add the quesadillas to the pan and cook until browned on both sides. Work in batches if needed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To build the bowls add rice, beans, mixed greens and mini quesadillas to each bowl. Drizzle with dressing and serve with the optional toppings.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!