This Traditional French Bread Vegan Stuffing is easy to make and has all of the holiday flavors you've grown up loving but vegan-ized.
Thanksgiving is a week away!
Gosh that creeped up fast.
But you and I are ready to go with the tools to make this Thanksgiving a vegan heaven.
And today we're rounding it all out with this Traditional French Bread Vegan Stuffing.
Last year I shared a recipe for Cornbread Stuffing (which I still love), so be sure to check that out if cornbread is more of your thing.
The key to a good stuffing (and yes, I know we're technically not "stuffing" this anywhere, so feel free to call this "dressing" if that makes you feel better), is letting your bread dry out for a full day before putting everything together.
If you use fresh bread you will likely end up with mush.
Fresh bread will absorb the broth instantly - and that is no bueno. By drying out the bread it will allow it to keep some shape and bake really nicely.
Stuffing is a work of art in the sense that you have to make it to your liking.
And what I mean by that is - do you like it wet or dry?
We all have a personal preference for how we expect the texture of our stuffing to be.
So think back to every time you have eaten stuffing and keep an eye on the bread as you add the broth.
Take it slow and mix the broth in ½ cup at a time until it looks right to you. It will crisp up a bit in the oven, but that doesn't mean drown the bread with the hopes it will firm back up.
I swear this recipe tastes just as good (or better) than any stuffing you've had, and the reason for that is my Thanksgiving sidekick - Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base.
This is in no way sponsored, I just love this stuff and it is a must have for a vegan Thanksgiving!
I think it has sooooooo much more flavor than veggie broth. And we all know more flavor = better food.
Now that you have your staple recipes covered, you can head over to my Thanksgiving page to see some of my other side dish favorites. Also, be on the lookout for my Thanksgiving Meal Plan coming out this Saturday!
Traditional French Bread Vegan Stuffing
- 1 loaf french bread
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ½ white onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 tsp Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base*
- 3 cups water
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary finely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut french bread into 1 inch pieces, lay out on a baking sheet or wire rack, cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to dry out for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and celery to the pan and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until veggies become slightly tender.
- While veggies are cooking, combine bouillon and water in a measuring cup and stir until bouillon dissolves.
- Add broth, parsley, rosemary, salt & pepper to the pan and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Place bread pieces in a baking dish.
- Ladle broth mixture over the bread ½ cup at a time, stirring as you go until the stuffing has your desired amount of moisture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until top is browned and slightly crisp.
- Serve and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!