Hearty layers of vegan ricotta, spinach and simple marinara sauce make this the Best Vegan Lasagna. A simple vegan dinner that is a great make ahead meal.
Lasagna has been on my "recipe to-do" list FOR-EVER! I have attempted a few different recipes which have turned out fine, but none were good enough to add to the TSV recipe archive.
That is until today.
I have finally mastered a lasagna recipe that is not only simple to make, but is so freaking delicious that even your non-vegan family and friends are going to be begging you to make this on the regular.
The keys to this recipe are:
- A simple and flavorful marinara sauce.
- Vegan ricotta mixed with the right seasonings.
For the marinara you can go a few different ways. You can make your favorite recipe. You can buy a pre-made sauce. Or you can do what I did and make my 10 Minute Vegan Marinara.
This marinara sauce is the best of both worlds. Pre-made sauce is combined with diced tomatoes, garlic and some additional seasonings to make a sauce that tastes like it has been cooking all day. No one will be the wiser, and you will only spend 10 minutes on it.
As for the vegan ricotta. I have only ever tried one brand and that is Kite Hill. I know that other vegan brands make ricotta, but I have not tested them out so I cannot speak to their quality. I can however say that Kite Hill ricotta is 10/10.
UPDATE: Since writing this recipe, I have created my own Tofu Ricotta recipe. If you can't find pre-made vegan ricotta, then be sure to check out my recipe.
TSV TIP: You can use the search function on their website to find a store near you that sells it.
To make the ricotta filling extra tasty we are going to add a couple of things...
vegan parmesan - my favorite brand is GoVeggie
frozen spinach - that has been thawed and drained
salt & pepper (obvi)
You can thin your ricotta filling out as much as you want by adding more non-dairy milk. I kept mine on the thick side - I like those chunky ricotta pieces in each bite.
After you have your noodles cooked, marinara made and your ricotta filling combined you are ready to assemble. Layer it all together and bake for 30-40 minutes.
When you remove it from the oven, allow it to cool for 10 minutes so that it can set - this will help when cutting it into pieces.
This makes a great make ahead meal. You can freeze it for a mid-week dinner or you can cook it and dish it into individual containers for easy lunches.
More of a visual person? Check out the video:
The Best Vegan Lasagna
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 10 Minute Vegan Marinara*
- 8 oz vegan ricotta**
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan***
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 8 oz frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper
- fresh parsely for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cool water. Set aside until ready to use.
- Prepare 10 Minute Vegan Marinara according to instructions.
- Add ricotta, parmesan, milk, spinach, Italian seasoning and a pinch of salt & pepper to a bowl. Stir until well combined - add more milk if you want a thinner consistency.
- To assemble, spoon ½ cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 6 baking pan. Layer 3 lasagna noodles over the marinara and spoon ⅓ of the remaining marinara on top of the noodles followed by ⅓ of the ricotta mixture. Repeat layers - noodles, marinara, ricotta, noodles, marinara, ricotta.
- Spray a piece of foil with non-stick spray and cover the lasagna. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- For a crispier topping, turn the oven to broil, cook for an additional 2-5 minutes (or until desired browning is reached - be sure to keep an eye on it while the oven is on broil).
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.****
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!