These Tempeh Soyrizo Vegan Tacos have a crispy tempeh filling, refried beans and a habanero cream sauce that adds so much flavor!
When the taco craving hits, these will definitely do the trick. The filling is a crispy mixture of tempeh & soyrizo that is layered with refried beans, shredded lettuce, avocado and a drizzle of the best habanero cream sauce. Woo, I’m excited just talking about these bad boys. Whether you add an extra habanero to kick up the heat or leave these on the milder side, there is so much flavor in each bite.
How to make Tempeh Soyrizo Vegan Tacos
The first thing you need to do is make the creamy habanero sauce. Not only will this go on top of the tacos, it will also go in the tempeh mixture. The sauce is a combo of vegan mayo, olive oil, cilantro, lime juice, red onion, garlic, spices and, of course, habanero. Yes, habaneros are on the spicy side. So start with a little and add more to taste. You can also remove the seeds for less spice.
Next steam the tempeh in a pan for 10 minutes. This will make it easier to break apart. Add the soyrizo to the steamed tempeh with some taco seasoning and some olive oil. Let it brown slightly, then add in some of the habanero cream sauce.
Meanwhile, heat up a can of black beans with some water and taco seasoning. After a couple minutes, use a wooden spoon to slightly mash the beans.
Lastly, heat the tortillas and prep the other toppings. Because it is time to eat!
How to serve Tempeh Soyrizo Vegan Tacos
Once everything is prepped, it is time to make the tacos.
Layer each tortilla with some of the beans, shredded lettuce, tempeh, avocado slices, cilantro and the habanero cream sauce. Serve the tacos with lime wedges and dig in!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Tempeh Soyrizo Vegan Tacos
FOR THE HABANERO CREAM SAUCE
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 red onion roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 -2 habaneros* to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
FOR THE TEMPEH
- 8 oz tempeh
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz soyrizo
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
FOR THE BEANS
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- salt if needed
FOR THE TACOS
- 8 tortillas I used flour
- lettuce shredded
- avocado sliced
- cilantro, lime wedges for serving
- Add the habanero cream sauce ingredients to a food processor or blender. Pulse until combined, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Add some water (about 1/4 cup) to the bottom of a pan and bring to a boil. Break the tempeh into pieces and place in the pan. Lower heat, cover and steam tempeh for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and add the olive oil, soyrizo and taco seasoning. Increase the heat slightly and break the soyrizo and temeph into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until everything starts to brown. Add 4 tbsp of the habanero cream sauce to the pan and stir to combine. Lower heat until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, add the beans to a pan with the water and taco seasoning over medium heat. After the beans have slightly softened, use a wood spoon to gently smash them. Taste and add salt if needed. Lower heat until ready to serve.
- Heat the tortillas over an open flame or in a pan.
- To assemble, layer each tortilla with beans, lettuce, tempeh, avocado, cilantro and more habanero cream sauce. Serve with lime wedges.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!