Spicy Cabbage Noodle Soup
This Spicy Cabbage Noodle Soup is great for a light lunch or dinner – made with a simple miso broth, soba noodles & green cabbage!
Cabbage soup might get a bad rep for being boring, but this Spicy Cabbage Noodle Soup is ANYTHING but boring! The broth is simple and delicious – and can be modified to fit your spice level. The soup is filled with veggies – and you can always add extras. Served up with soba noodles, lime wedges and fresh herbs. This soup is comforting, delicious and satisfying!
How to Make Cabbage Soup
The base of the broth is oil, shallots, garlic, ginger and serrano peppers. You could always omit the peppers or sub them with jalapeño if you want less spice. Let everything cook down for about a minute, then add in the chopped cabbage. Toss the cabbage so it is coated with the oil, then pour in water.
When it comes to making the broth, it is all going to be to taste. Start with the recommended measurements of soy sauce, rice vinegar, miso and sriracha. THEN, adjust as needed. You will need to play around until it is just right for you.
How to Serve
After the soup simmers for 10-15 minutes, finish it off with fresh herbs – I used a mix of cilantro & basil, but you could also do parsley, mint and/or chives. Add lime juice and pepper to taste. Give the broth one last taste before serving it up with cooked soba noodles.
Add lots of extra herbs to the top of each bowl and serve with lime wedges on the side. I like to keep the noodles and soup separate so they don’t overcook, so I would do the same with leftovers. BUT, If you plan to eat the entire pot in one sitting, you can definitely cook the noodles in the soup.
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made this Spicy Cabbage Noodle Soup I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Spicy Cabbage Noodle Soup
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 shallots finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 serrano pepper sliced, optional
- 1/2 head green cabbage chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons miso white or red
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs your favorite mix of cilantro, parsley, basil and/or chives
- 1 lime juiced, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon sriracha plus more to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 bundles soba noodles
- sesame oil, lime wedges, herbs for serving
- Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, ginger and serrano. Cook down for a couple of minutes. Add the cabbage and toss to combine. Pour in the water, soy sauce and rice vinegar. Spoon in the miso. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the soba noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- To the soup, add the herbs, lime juice, sriracha and pepper. Taste the broth and adjust the seasonings as needed – add more soy sauce, sriracha, lime juice, vinegar or herbs. Don't be afraid to play around until you love it!
- To serve, add noodles to each bowl and top with the soup. Serve with extra lime wedges, more herbs and a drizzle of sesame oil.