This Sautéed Garlicky Cabbage is the perfect veggie side dish. Simple ingredients, but plenty of flavor. Perfect for a take-out night at home.
This cabbage recipe is a take on one of my favorite Chinese restaurant's sides. Cabbage is diced and sautéed with garlic, shallot, soy sauce & rice vinegar. You can also add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little spice. This is so simple to make, but is seriously addicting.
How to prep the veggies
This recipe comes together quickly, so it's best if you get everything ready and then work quickly. I used half of a large green cabbage. If your cabbage is small, you can use the the whole thing. Before dicing, Be sure to remove the core. Then you can chop however you want - just be sure it is in bite-sized pieces.
For the garlic and the shallot, slice them in thin slivers if possible. You want everything to kind of melt into the cabbage.
How to make Sautéed Garlicky Cabbage
To a large pan, add one tablespoon of vegan butter and one tablespoon of oil. Let that melt, then add in the garlic and shallot. Let it cook down for a couple minutes, then add in a pinch of salt and red pepper flakes.
Add all of the cabbage and start tossing. You want the cabbage to get mixed in with the oil/butter and the shallot & garlic to disperse evenly. Once the cabbage starts to wilt, add a splash of soy sauce & rice vinegar.
When it comes to being "finished" that is entirely up to you. If you like some crunch, you can pull the cabbage now. Or you can let it continue to wilt more. Entirely a preference. Just be sure to give it one last taste before serving.
Plate it up and top with sesame oil!
How to serve Sautéed Garlicky Cabbage
Now, this obviously isn't a whole meal. But I have plenty of recipes I would serve this with. Here are a few of my favorites:
- 20-Minute Teriyaki Soba Noodles
- Mushroom & Kale Soba Noodles
- Vegan Bang Bang Tofu
- Spicy Peanut Tofu Bowls
Basically any tofu or Asian-inspired noodle bowl would go well with this cabbage recipe! I wouldn't be mad about some vegan egg rolls on the side too!
Sautéed Garlicky Cabbage
- Prep the veggies, then add the oil and butter to a large pan over medium heat. Once melted, add the garlic and shallot. Cook down for a couple minutes, or until tender.
- Add a pinch of salt, red pepper flakes and the cabbage. Toss to coat the cabbage in the oil.
- Once the cabbage has started to wilt, add a splash of soy sauce & rice vinegar. Toss again and cook until desired consistency is reached.*
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve hot with your favorite noodle or tofu recipe.