This Pistachio Pesto Pasta is dairy-free, vegan and totally delicious! Made with cilantro, garlic & pistachios and served with crispy chickpeas!
Pesto is always a good choice, but this pistachio pesto is on a whole other level! It is made with cilantro (but you could also use basil) and has the perfect amount of spice, earthiness and brightness. Tossed with pappardelle pasta and topped with crispy chickpeas - this pasta is a must for spring!
How to Make Pistachio Pesto
I can't get enough of this pistachio pesto! It is at the top of my homemade pesto list - with Broccoli Pesto and Kale Pesto right behind it. Here is what you need to make it:
- cilantro - or sub basil
- jalapeño - optional, you can omit it if you don't like spice
- lime juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- water - as needed to thin
Add everything to a food processor and pulse to combine. Scrape down the edges as you go and give it a taste before setting it aside.
Bring a stock pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chickpeas, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt & pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until crispy.
Place the empty stock pot back on the stove over low heat. Add the pasta & pesto and toss to combine. Add pasta water as needed to thin.
Serve it Up
Plate the hot pasta and top with the chickpeas. This pesto pasta is best served right away, so if you don't plan on eating right away, prep all of the components and toss to combine right before serving.
You can also add some fresh basil for a pop of color and freshness. This pasta is so simple and totally tasty - you gotta try it!
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made this Pistachio Pesto Pasta I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Pistachio Pesto Pasta
FOR THE PISTACHIO PESTO
- ½ cup cilantro or sub basil
- 1 jalapeño chopped, optional
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- ½ cup pistachios shelled
- 1 lime juiced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- water as needed to thin
FOR THE PASTA
- ¾ pound pasta I used pappardelle
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- Add all of the pesto ingredients to a food processor and pulse to combine, scraping down the sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- Bring a stock pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chickpeas, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt & pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until crispy.
- Place the empty stock pot back on the stove over low heat. Add the pasta & pesto and toss to combine. Add pasta water as needed to thin.
- Serve the pasta hot with the chickpeas on top.
Where do you find vegan papperdelle pasta?
I got mine at Trader Joe's, but Whole Foods does too. And you can even order it on Amazon!
Made this for dinner tonight. Very easy to prepare and simply delicious! Only additions I made were to add cooked mushrooms and I topped it with some chopped fresh basil, pistachios and the chickpeas.
Made this tonight and wow I am loving this recipe! The pistachio pesto is incredible and the spices for the chickpeas are perfection. It’s very easy to follow the recipe and it looks and tastes like something you would find in a restaurant! Thank you for another fantastic recipe!