Italian Beans & Rice
Savory, simple and delicious, these Italian Beans & Rice are made with vegan sausage, veggies, white beans and brown rice.
Beans and rice are a go-to in my house. But these Italian Beans & Rice are a fun twist on a staple. White beans are simmered in a spicy tomato sauce and served up with crispy Italian sausage and brown rice. Topped off with fresh parsley, this is a quick, easy and delicious vegan dinner idea.
Step One: Cook the Vegan Sausage
To be honest, the vegan sausage is not a necessity for this recipe. And if you don’t like vegan sausage, just skip this step. But I think it adds some great flavor and a great texture to the beans and rice.
Start by heating some olive oil in a skillet. Add the sausage (I used Beyond Meat Italian sausage) and crumble it with a wooden spoon.
Let the sausage cook down for about 5 minutes. It should be cooked through, crumbled and have a nice crispiness to it. Remove the sausage from the skillet and place the empty skillet back on the stove.
Step Two: Sauce & Beans
To the same skillet add onions, garlic, carrots, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. Let everything cook down for a couple of minutes, or until the veggies start to get tender.
Add in some tomato paste, sun-dried tomatoes and Calabrian chili paste (if you want some spice). Let the tomato paste cook off for about a minute, then pour in 2 cans of drained white beans and some broth. Bring everything to a boil, cover and simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes. You can definitely let it cook longer if you have the time!
Right before serving, add some fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of parsley.
Step Three: Serve
And now it is time to serve. I used some frozen brown rice – it is ready in 3 minutes, can’t beat that! But you can use any rice you want or have on hand.
Add rice to each bowl and top with the beans & veggies. Serve with more fresh parsley and lemon wedges on the side. I also don’t hate a piece of french bread on the side for dipping. You could also add some kale or spinach to the skillet for some extra greens.
This is a great make ahead recipe – make a batch and eat it for lunch all week!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Italian Beans & Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces vegan Italian sausage I used Beyond Meat
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoons Calabrian chili paste or sub red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cups broth I used vegan chicken broth
- lemon juice to taste
- parsley chopped, to taste
- 2.5 cups cooked brown rice or sub another grain
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and crumble it with a wooden spoon. Cook until the sausage is browned to your liking (approx. 5 minutes). Remove from the skillet.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, Italian seasoning and a pinch of salt & pepper to the skillet – if the skillet is too dry, you can add a little more oil. Cook down for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, sun-dried tomatoes and chili paste and cook for another minute. Pour in the beans & broth and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add the sausage back to the skillet.
- Right before serving add lemon juice and parsley. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Serve hot over brown rice with more parsley on top.